DeepMind carries out and publishes research into the intersection between machine learning and robotics. We're looking for mechanical engineers who can work closely with our researchers to optimise robotics systems for learning based methods.
We are looking for a full time mechanical design engineer with proven experience in CAD, structural analysis and testing. The successful candidate will have a key role in optimising and upgrading existing robots and providing general mechanical engineering support.
The ideal candidate should possess a Mechanical Engineer degree and be deeply interested in the research activities at Deepmind. In particular, they should be interested in applying machine learning to parametric design. The candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- Design and optimise 3D/2D models of robot parts and assemblies.
- Interact with external contractors (e.g. workshops, system integrators, manufacturers and suppliers) to evaluate nonstandard parts.
- Experience with practical 3D printing.
- Generate detailed technical documentation for 3D/2D assembly and parts manufacturing.
- Troubleshoot mechanical issues.
- Collaborate with other engineering disciplines (electronics, software) to ensure the successful integration of their designs with the rest of the system.
- Proficiency in hardware design and mechanism analysis with a proven portfolio of practical designs and excellent hands-on practical skills.
- Excellent knowledge of design software tools (primarily with Pro Engineer, ANSYS, other relevant also welcome) is a must.
- Experience with parametric design and experience in scripting the extraction of dynamic parameters from CAD project files (e.g. bar and foo).
- Strong expertise in mechanical design, preferably with experience in the field of robotics
- Experience in developing test fixtures, conducting tests, and iteratively improving designs
- Demonstrated understanding of metrology and GD&T
- Fundamental understanding of stress mechanics
- At least two years of work experience
- Excellent working knowledge of at least one industry standard CAD package, including both drafting and modelling packages
- Creative thinking
- Team player with good oral and written communication skills (English language)
- Willingness to integrate into a multidisciplinary, dynamic, international research group
- Highly motivated
- Experience with finite element analysis, specifically analysing bolted connections and stiffness optimisation.
- Understanding of strain gauging techniques and sensor selection.
- Experience with automation in an industrial setting.
- Knowledge of Python and/or C++.
- Experience with advanced AM technologies and workflow (e.g. SLS).
With passion, ambition and a lifelong commitment to learning, our close-knit team support, challenge and inspire each other to be the best they can be every day. The culture we’ve created is as exceptional as our people. Our unique approach combines the best from academia and business to enable and encourage deep collaboration across all groups leading to fast and creative progress. This drives and accelerates our ambitious research program, yielding innovative breakthroughs at the forefront of AI research and application.
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.