About DeepMind Ethics & Society
The DeepMind Ethics and Society (DMES) Team researches real-world problems clustered into six research themes: privacy, transparency and fairness; economic impact of AI and automation on society; governance and accountability; managing AI risk; AI morality and values; and AI and the world’s complex challenges. This research will be directed towards DeepMind’s overarching mission to develop AI technologies that benefit everyone.
We have created a passionate and engaging culture, combining the best of academia and product led environments, providing an impressive balance of structure and flexibility. Our unique approach encourages interdisciplinary collaboration within DMES but as well as with all teams within the Research and Applied groups, leading to ambitious creativity and the scope for innovative breakthroughs at the forefront of research.
We are seeking highly talented and driven individuals who want to be part of DMES, housed within the Applied AI group. Our work supports DeepMind’s mission to “solve intelligence and use it to help make the world a better place,” by giving special attention to the full range of social and economic impacts of AI, to enable responsible stewardship, alongside our advances in AI science and engineering.
We are looking for a DMES Research Scientist who will engage in interdisciplinary research that addresses our research themes, drawing on fields such as Political Science, Sociology, Philosophy, Economics, Psychology, and the Humanities. This research will lead to peer-reviewed publications, internal and external white papers, and short-form summary reports. Research scientists are expected to be active in the wider research community through publications and help manage relationships with our external research partners.
- Engage in active research in one or more of the DMES research themes listed above, and write both formal and informal publications.
- Submit formal publications for top-quality peer-reviewed journals or presses.
- Report and present research findings and developments including status and results clearly and efficiently both internally and externally.
- Suggest and engage in team collaborations to meet research goals.
- Work with external collaborators and manage relationships with relevant research labs and key individuals as appropriate.
- PhD in Political Science, Sociology, Philosophy, Economics, Data Science, Science Technology and Society, or equivalent practical experience.
- PhD in Political Science, Sociology, Philosophy, Economics, Data Science, Science Technology and Society, with particular focus on bringing multiple disciplinary perspectives to one’s research question.
- For those applicants coming from the Social Sciences, formal training in research design and methodology, with the ability to conduct well grounded empirical research in quantitative, qualitative or mixed methods. Critical approaches are also welcome.
- For those applicants coming from the Humanities or Philosophy, formal training in moral or political philosophy. Familiarity with Philosophy of Mind, and Philosophy of Language is desirable.
- Active research and publication strategy and solid publications record (in line with career stage).
- A documented research interest relevant to at least one of the 6 DMES research themes.
- Evidence of strong ethical values and interest in positive social impact
- Extraordinary work ethic and drive to achieve.
- Powerful intellectual curiosity that keeps the candidate ahead on substantive topics and challenges in the principal areas of focus. Knowledge of and interest in sectors vital to artificial intelligence policy are desirable.
- Willingness to travel
- 2 writing samples, one of which must be a single authored piece
- 3 letters of recommendation
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.