This is a rare opportunity to join a phenomenal team of people in a mission driven company. We’re looking for an enthusiastic person to join our unique people-first business, supporting the team in our newly opened Montreal base as an Operations Coordinator. Our business has a start-up entrepreneurial culture but operates within a large, high profile global company making us uniquely collaborative and mission focussed, as well as highly ambitious.
Ensuring an excellent employee and visitor experience is at the heart of everything you do; the role is fast-moving, stimulating and diverse, with plenty of variety. You will resolve operational and administrative issues and adapt readily to changing priorities.
We’re looking for a highly talented and driven individual who wants to be part of an exceptional team, in an inspiring and collaborative environment, working on ground-breaking technology with potentially extraordinary impact. You’ll be working with some of the best and brightest minds which takes skill, enthusiasm and exceptional attention to detail.
Founded by Demis Hassabis, Mustafa Suleyman and Shane Legg in 2010, DeepMind’s Mission is to solve intelligence and then use it to make the world a better place.
Over the last few years we've created a unique environment for long-term ambitious research to flourish in. Our world-class interdisciplinary team combines the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning and systems neuroscience to build powerful general-purpose learning algorithms. We have already made a number of high profile breakthroughs towards general AI, including three Nature papers and two front covers, within the last year.
This is a busy role and you’ll need to rely on your drive and initiative in order to fully carve out your contribution. You’ve got bags of energy and a keen interest to continue to grow your career in supporting and enabling others. Your colleagues describe you as dependable, savvy, self-aware and efficient. You have a can-do attitude and a thirst for learning.
- You’re proactive and see what needs to be done yet flexible and skilled at working in a reactive manner, doing all that you can for the team to reduce stress and setbacks
- Extremely organised and adept at ensuring that every moment of the day is utilised. You’re used to working at a very fast pace, juggling many different tasks in changeable and ambiguous environments, whilst at the same time ensuring impeccable attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills with plenty of common sense and the ability to write clear, informative, customer-focused messages.
- You have a natural ability to build relationships with people. You put people at ease, create understanding and instil trust. Your knowledge and approach means that people actively seek your guidance
- Strong computer literacy (ideally using Google products such as Mail, Calendars, Sheets etc) with some experience of data entry
- You are willing to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in with anything; your “get stuck in” mentality means that no task is too big or too small
- Driven, self-aware and self-disciplined; you take responsibility for your own behaviour and get your energy from within, rather than relying on others. You strive to succeed and constantly improve
- Able to instinctively act with absolute discretion and diplomacy, and apply sound judgement in responding to circumstances
- You use your initiative and offer well thought through solutions. You know when to seek guidance, and have the confidence to make decisions when needed
- Versatile and willing to learn - this is your career-defining moment and you’re going to seize it!
Undertaking a wide range of operational tasks, you’ll provide on-hand support around the office, continually adapting to the growing and evolving needs of the team. You’ll be responsible for the smooth running of all operational activity in the DeepMind Montreal office, so it’s essential you are super organised, switched on and able to prioritise work proactively and with a flexible approach.
DeepMind is fast-growing and this role is essential for ensuring that the team receive the attention they need with as little distraction as possible. Working as an Operations Coordinator at DeepMind is a truly unique opportunity and you’ll meet and work with some of the world’s greatest minds and fantastic people.
- Front of House tasks, such as answering the phone and welcoming visitors including high-profile individuals, VIPs and candidates. Making sure that all visitors receive an exceptional experience by ensuring timely room set-ups, office tours and offering refreshments
- Resolve queries and complaints, using effective listening, questioning and problem-solving skills
- Provide general administrative support to the team e.g. processing expenses, making restaurant reservations, ensuring adequate provisions of food, arranging travel and photocopying.
- Provide administrative support for team meetings, including preparing and circulating agendas, taking minutes and monitoring agreed actions
- Oversee the collection and recording of Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) from all guests
- Act as the primary DeepMind contact for both onsite and remote security teams and work closely with them to resolve any issues
- Running errands - everything and anything from fetching lunch to moving office supplies
- Carry out weekly front and back-of-house walk rounds, ensuring the office space is in good order, noting any defects and then taking steps to amend them
- Maintain accurate records and make recommendations to improve efficiencies for all administrative and operational processes
- Act as a key point of contact and an ambassador for DeepMind, constantly improving and refining the service our employees, guests, visitors receive
- Work collaboratively with the wider operations teams at DeepMind in Edmonton and London to ensure all processes are smooth, compliant and streamlined
Please include a cover letter when applying and tell us how you can make a difference to our team.