As a Research Engineering Manager, you will ideally have previous experience of working in a research environment, to take a lead role in growing and nurturing a team of highly talented Research Engineering (RE) Sub-team Leads. You will have significant hands-on technical experience but are now motivated by a purely managerial role in a research-oriented environment.
Flexibility is at the heart of DeepMind’s research process. As a Research Engineering Manager you will not be working with your direct reports day-to-day but you will be instrumental to their success, and to their impact at DeepMind.
- Taking the lead in ensuring that a robust personal development plan is in place for all RE Sub-team leads and their reports
- Proactively identify and address day-to-day employee performance issues in a timely and professional manner, in consultation with Program Managers and research collaborators
- Be the long-term career advocate for your RE Sub-team Lead reports, representing their individual and collective interests through assignment discussions and in other forums
- Assist with growing the research engineering team, conducting interviews and nurturing your reports through induction and beyond
- In collaboration with senior Research Engineering Managers, take the lead in maintaining and developing the research engineering culture, practices and processes
- Proven track record of hands-on technical experience (providing a technical grounding for the role)
- Extensive engineering line management experience, or equivalent, with a demonstrable track record of developing and nurturing technical staff
- Excellent communication abilities, including proven ability to build strong relationships with other teams
- Experience of working in a research environment
- Machine learning theory and practice
Competitive salary applies
Opening date: 10th August 2017
Closing date: 7th September 2017