Research Engineer (Medical Image Analysis)
Our research team at DeepMind focuses on Machine Learning, Artificial intelligence and Neuroscience, including but not limited to deep neural models, reinforcement learning algorithms and biologically inspired models with the overall goal of building powerful general-purpose learning algorithms. Research Engineers work on a diverse and stimulating range of projects including: developing algorithms and prototype applications, providing software design and programming support to research projects, along with architecting and implementing software libraries. We have created a passionate and engaging culture, combining academic and product-led environments, to provide a supportive balance of structure and flexibility. Our approach encourages collaboration across all groups within the Research team, leading to ambitious creativity and the scope for innovative research breakthroughs.
DeepMind's aim is to build AI technologies and proving that they could have positive social impact. DeepMind Health is central to this social mission. We work with hospitals on mobile tools and AI research to help get patients from test to treatment as quickly and accurately as possible. Data security and appropriate handling of data is a top priority for our team and our interdisciplinary team of computer scientists and clinical researchers work closely together with hospitals, such as Moorfields, to identify and solve the tasks that make a real difference.
The Research Engineers work together with Research Scientists on general approaches that are applicable on a wide range of medical image analysis tasks, and on concrete solutions in our cooperations.
- Provide software design and programming support to research projects
- Report and present software developments including status and results clearly and efficiently both internally and externally, verbally and in writing
- Architect and implement software libraries
- Implement and evaluate algorithms
- BSc/BEng degree in computer science, mathematics, physics, electrical engineering, machine learning or equivalent (MSc/MEng preferable)
- Knowledge & experience of working in Python
- Knowledge of machine learning and statistics
- Knowledge of algorithm design
- Knowledge in computer vision
- Working knowledge of C/C++ and CUDA
- Knowledge in medical image analysis
- Working knowledge of TensorFlow or similar frameworks
- Experience with multi-threaded design and parallel/distributed computing
- Experience with implementing numerical methods and data visualisation
- A passion for AI
- Contributions to open source projects