As one of DeepMind's small team of lawyers, you'll be advising, assisting, supporting and guiding the best people in the field, as they solve intelligence and make the world a better place. You'll be part of a dedicated and accessible group of lawyers deeply embedded within all aspects of DeepMind's business. You’ll provide every aspect of legal support for a diverse and growing business, from ongoing research and publication of work, through to commercial deployment of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning based technologies.
You'll be challenged on the delivery of day-to-day projects at the same time as applying your counsel to some of the toughest and most essential legal and ethical issues of our time. As a lawyer at DeepMind, you’ll be as passionate and inspired by the scientific progress as you are about creating and delivering novel governance solutions to implement those technologies in a safe and legal manner, for the benefit of all.
You’ll find yourself turning to many different areas of the law on a daily basis, as the uses of AI technologies continue to raise novel questions. By working at the intersection of the law, new technology and ethical governance, you will be able to provide the answers.
- Advise research groups on good practices and legal considerations for the development and publication of key research papers and related source data
- Provide actionable legal advice to all aspects of DeepMind's operational teams for the smooth and efficient running of the business on a day to day basis
- Support all commercial contracts and related commercial activities associated with the application and deployment of DeepMind's technology
- Assist in the creation, maintenance and implementation of appropriate world class governance mechanisms for the ongoing stewardship of DeepMind technology
- Effectively manage external counsel relationships both in the UK and globally as required, and seek and obtain the best specialist advice for projects on an ad hoc basis
- Collaborate broadly across legal teams within the Alphabet group and provide the DeepMind team with a local point of contact for any group wide issues and related compliance obligations
- BA/BS/LLB degree or equivalent practical experience
- Qualified solicitor, with significant post qualified experience in private practice and/or an in-house team (registered foreign lawyers may be considered depending on home jurisdiction)
- Proven interest or experience in the field of artificial intelligence research or deployment of machine learning systems
- Sound experience of data protection, privacy and intellectual property law (including patents)
- Experience in negotiating, drafting and advising clients on technology-related commercial agreements, including multi-jurisdictional transactions
- Able to set goals and be self-directed on optimal outcomes, setting legal objectives and priorities from the goals and mission of DeepMind