DeepMind is the world leader in artificial intelligence research and its application for positive impact. We’re on a scientific mission to push the boundaries of AI, developing programs that can learn to solve any complex problem without needing to be taught how.
If we’re successful, we believe this will be one of the most important and widely beneficial scientific advances ever made, increasing our capacity to understand the mysteries of the universe and to tackle some of our most pressing real-world challenges. From climate change to the need for radically improved healthcare, too many problems suffer from painfully slow progress, their complexity overwhelming our ability to find solutions. With AI as a multiplier for human ingenuity, those solutions will come into reach. As in all long-term research efforts there are many hurdles ahead, but our team of renowned scientists and engineers is making exciting progress.
The progress we’ve made is in part down to our approach, which combines the long-term thinking and interdisciplinary collaboration of academia, the energy and focus of a technology start-up, and the social purpose of a team fervent about amazing impact.
We've created a unique environment within which long-term ambitious research can flourish. Our world-class interdisciplinary team combines the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning and systems neuroscience to build powerful general-purpose learning algorithms.
We are looking for highly talented and driven individuals who want to be part of our Applied AI group, which is tasked with developing socially beneficial and, where appropriate, commercially viable, applications for DeepMind's cutting edge research breakthroughs. Ensuring that our work supports DeepMind’s mission to “solve intelligence and use it to help make the world a better place” requires giving attention to the full range of social and economic impacts of AI, so that we can innovate on responsible stewardship, alongside our advances in AI science and engineering.
As we seek to expand our expertise, deepen our knowledge, and grow our external engagement on this issues, we need an experienced Policy Researcher to carry out research on the social and economic impacts of AI. This role will generate key insights and recommendations for DeepMind as a core member of our Ethics & Impact team, where we are focused on rigorous engagement around the social effects and ethical challenges surrounding the emerging technology of AI.
This requires synthesising existing research from a wide range of disciplines including philosophy, science, policy, ethics, law, and economics. We also anticipate the need for original insight that not only pulls together trends across disciplines, but situates those trends alongside groundbreaking developments and technical achievements in AI. Our policy researcher will be responsible for turning these insights into briefings, analyses, recommendations, and policy papers for both internal and external audiences. Where there are gaps in the research and opportunities for further exploration, our Policy Researcher will create proposals and liaise with relevant academic experts to push the envelope in wholly new, interdisciplinary ways.
The role requires experience working with or in academic institutions, think tanks or related organisations. A strong background is welcome in emerging technology policy or related disciplines such as sociology, economics, political science or ethical philosophy.
- Research, report, and monitor quantitative and qualitative research on emerging technology policy, with a focus on artificial intelligence and automation
- Create insightful and compelling research papers to an excellent written standard for internal and external stakeholders
- Prepare in-depth reports with original analysis and insight on trends and new developments across a wide range of disciplines
- Recommend ambitious, forward-thinking policy positions to DeepMind Ethics & Impact Team
- Support our work to build a strong network of interdisciplinary experts through events, briefings, panel discussions, and conferences.
- Manage assigned research projects and coordinate across functions where appropriate
- Identify areas that require further exploration within existing research; develop recommendations and proposals for new academic projects
- Excellent grasp of technology policy and its implications on society
- Ability to quickly assimilate complex issues and work across science areas
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues
- Team player with a sense of humor and the ability to exercise good judgement in a rapidly changing environment
- Experience working with a broad array of cross-functional stakeholders.
- Excellent personal, political, analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent communicator, in person and in writing.
- Graduate degree
- Extraordinary work ethic and drive to achieve.
- Powerful intellectual curiosity that keeps the candidate ahead on substantive topics and challenges in the principal areas of focus. Knowledge of and interest in sectors vital to artificial intelligence policy are desirable.
- Willingness to travel
- Experience in an academic institution, think tank, or similar
- Experience with applied technologies in ethically important societal industries
- Experience with researching the implications of emerging technologies
- Experience in investigating and publishing emerging technology policy strategy or similar relevant material
- Science or Technology Policy Fellowship