This is an opportunity to join a phenomenal team of people in a complex, mission-driven company. DeepMind continues to grow, recently crossing the threshold of 500 people, and is now seeking an experienced lead to set up our first ever internal communications function. Working closely with DeepMind’s founders, Communications & Public Engagement team, and People & Culture team, the internal communications lead will be responsible for developing and implementing our first internal communications strategy.
This is a chance for a proactive, self-starting internal communications professional to make a tangible difference to the work of one of the most exciting and unusual companies in the world. Reporting to the Director of Communications, with a dotted line into the Director of People Operations, this role requires outstanding people skills, the ability to work effectively with world leaders from a wide range of fields, strategic thinking, fast-paced delivery under pressure, excellent judgement, and strong writing and content creation skills.
This role would suit someone who thrives in fast-paced, changeable environments and is looking to define their career within a company that could change the world.
- You have significant experience of internal communications in multiple fast-paced and demanding environments, with ideally at least one role in a technology-driven or scientific organisation
- You have provable experience delivering impactful internal communications content across multiple channels, to large audiences
- You have the ability to build and support staff engagement, and advise on internal events
- You take a flexible, hands-on approach, including developing content, channels and strategies from scratch
- You have experience in managing complex and time-critical projects
- You are experienced in advising senior leadership on internal communications
- You have a strong interest in technology, computer science, AI or social-impact organisations, or in health or scientific research
- You are experienced in using metrics effectively to measure and evaluate the impact of internal communications, and make adjustments as required
You will need to use your previous experience and show initiative in order to fully carve out your contribution in this role. You will be managed by the Director of Communications but work in line with the Director of People Operations as well as in partnership with the wider Communications, Operations and People & Culture teams.
This is not a typical internal communications role. You will have the opportunity to apply your innovative thinking to communications in an unconventional and adventurous organisation.
- Plan and implement an overarching internal communications strategy in order to support DeepMind’s goals, mission and leadership team.
- Effectively communicate DeepMind’s mission, achievements, initiatives, successes and challenges across the company.
- Support DeepMind’s culture through an internal communications strategy that reinforces DeepMind’s core values and its mission.
- Effectively disseminate and coordinate operational information to relevant audiences within DeepMind.
- Advise individual teams across DeepMind on their own approaches to internal communications, acting as a trusted expert who is able to both offer strategic advice and roll up your sleeves to give practical help.
- Co-ordinate the use of all internal communications channels, setting up new channels when required.
- Effectively respond to staff feedback, acting on and reporting on this as needed, working in conjunction with DeepMind's People and Culture team.