We’re looking for a Quality Assurance Tester with a passion for ensuring quality and a proactive, can-do, attitude to overcoming technical and process challenges. To succeed in this role you will need previous experience as a professional games tester.
DeepMind's mission is to "Solve intelligence. Use it to make the world a better place." The Worlds Team provides DeepMind Researchers with the best training and testing environments possible. These range from bespoke mini-games aimed at answering specific research questions, to expansive first-person environments using modern game engines. The Worlds Team is crucial in helping steer DeepMind’s research forward.
We design and implement our learning environments carefully as it’s likely we’ll live with them for many years to come so we apply thoughtfulness to everything we do. We take robust design and implementation seriously to ensure the delivery of high quality, repeatable, research environments. You’ll join a close knit team of talented individuals who openly share ideas with one another. Projects we’ve worked on include AlphaGo, DM Lab, and DQN on Atari as well as contributions to countless publications. No machine learning experience is required for this role.
DeepMind's AI systems are the best in the world. They have surprised the world by learning to play videogames, mastering the ancient Chinese game of Go, and making inroads into solving protein folding. They are trained to perform visual processing tasks, exhibit cognitive abilities like memory and planning, and can learn to control physical bodies. Much of what you know is of huge value to us as we strive towards creating the challenges which will be used as training environments for increasingly general-purpose learning systems, but there will also be much you will need to learn about the process of learning itself.
If this challenge intrigues you, then get in touch!
About The Role
As a QA Tester on our team you will be part of a small but growing team of testers/games players. The duties of the team are two fold:
- Testing and validation of the games, platforms and tasks created by the Worlds and Research teams.
- Recording scores and play sessions in a wide variety of games from classic console games and bespoke mini games to modern 3D games. The data recorded will be used for scientific research purposes in novel and exciting ways.
- Collaborate with the engineers, the QA lead, researchers and design to ensure the research requirements are met and the tasks are of sufficient quality.
- Finding and reporting issues in a clear and accurate manner.
- Provide feedback and produce detailed test plans and test cases.
- Run bug reviews.
- Set reference scores for games used for research.
- QA testing experience.
- Familiarity with popular games across a variety of genres and platforms.
- A passion for both automated and manual testing.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people with different requirements and ways of working.
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Competitive salary applies.