About our team
We are looking for highly talented and motivated individuals to join our Ethics & Society team, which is tasked with exploring the real-world impacts of AI, helping technologists put ethics into practice, and helping society to anticipate and control the effects of AI. Ensuring that our work supports DeepMind’s mission requires giving attention to the full range of social and economic impacts of AI, so that we can innovate on responsible stewardship, alongside our advances in AI science and engineering.
About the role
Our ideal candidate is an experienced researcher who is genuinely motivated by the public policy implications of advanced technologies. The position will require commitment to an interdisciplinary approach to research and a willingness to collaborate widely with projects across the whole of DeepMind. The successful candidate will play an active role in driving the policy research agenda to support public policy, partnerships, and company strategy. The role will report into Co-Lead of DeepMind Ethics & Society.
- Deliver high-quality, impactful policy research that informs and supports organisational decision making at the most senior levels
- Build relationships across the company to understand our strategy and forecast ahead as a result
- Embed deeply in our research efforts and interpret those for a non-technical audience, quickly intuiting what research developments mean for public policy
- Digest external variances and interpret them for an internal audience
- Research, report, and monitor quantitative and qualitative research on emerging technology policy, with a particular focus on artificial intelligence
- Create insightful and compelling briefings, research papers, and case studies of best practices to an excellent written standard for internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborate with colleagues within DeepMind Ethics & Society and throughout the business, providing skills and strategic insight to help guide decision-making and understanding
- Experience managing research in an academic institution, think-tank, or equivalent research body
- Ability to quickly evaluate complex issues and work across science and technology areas
- Comfort navigating ambiguity and exercising good judgement in a rapidly changing environment
- Highly organised, with the ability to juggle multiple priorities and switch context very quickly
- Proactive, organised thinker who can forecast ahead and anticipate business needs in advance
- Experience of defining, leading and delivering strategies to deliver the most important insights to leadership and businesses
- Experience in managing complex stakeholder situations, building relationships and working collaboratively to get the best from individuals and groups
- Excellent personal, analytical and organisational skills as well as an excellent communicator, in person and in writing
- You have a realistic, pragmatic approach and enjoy working as part of a team
- You are willing to proactively build knowledge and expertise in a number of areas
Competitive salary applies.
Opening date: 21st May, 2019
Closing date: 18th June, 2019
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.