Role: Research Assistant, London
We are looking for a talented, enthusiastic general-purpose research assistant with experience covering global affairs and/or technical/scientific subjects who is passionate about applying these skills to help inform DeepMind’s management and strategy decisions. You will join an extraordinary team at a mission-driven company, in an inspiring, collaborative environment.
You will conduct research on a diversity of topics relevant to the work of the Office of the CEO, a group that handles high-priority strategic and operational tasks for senior leadership. The insights you surface will inform our understanding of subjects as varied as technical scientific subjects, global affairs and industry trends. This understanding, in turn, will play a role in guiding the company’s decisions.
Founded by Demis Hassabis, Mustafa Suleyman and Shane Legg in 2010, DeepMind’s mission is to solve intelligence and then use it to make the world a better place.
We've created a unique environment where long-term ambitious research can flourish. Our world-class interdisciplinary team combines the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning and systems neuroscience to build powerful general-purpose learning algorithms. We have already made a number of breakthroughs and we have the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years.
- You will conduct detailed, high-quality research on a variety of topics including technical subjects and global affairs. This will draw on sources ranging from scientific papers to full-length books, and from in-person discussion with experts to quantitative analysis.
- You will synthesise this knowledge succinctly and present it in a diversity of different forms (written briefs, presentations, in-person discussions, etc.) to various stakeholders.
- You will develop a deep understanding of DeepMind’s strategic needs across different time horizons and use this knowledge to guide and inform research.
- You have significant research experience that can generalise across subject areas - suitable backgrounds include journalism, ghostwriting, fact-checking, RA work, legal background/knowledge, etc.
- You can examine and present topics at all levels of depth depending on project needs - tasks might include: summarising books on subjects ranging from philosophy to economics, handling open-ended market analysis questions, crafting presentations about the technical and policy implications of specific technologies, thinking about how AI might be applicable to domains of fundamental physics, etc.
- You have experience working with short deadlines, flexible hours and quick iteration
- You bring a solid background in studying/covering political and/or corporate strategy and at least one scientific domain
- You have knowledge of the following areas preferred but not required: AI, computer science, physics, politics/international relations, industry/market analysis, bibliometrics/scientometrics
- You possess enthusiasm for garnering new technical and strategy knowledge/experience
- You are excited about DeepMind’s mission to solve intelligence
- You feel comfortable working in a collaborative, candid and scrappy environment
- You are eager to make a long-term commitment and contribution to the DeepMind team
How to apply
Please include a cover letter that details how you would distinctively serve in this role.
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.