Program Specialist; Central Programs Team
This is a rare opportunity to join a phenomenal team of people in a complex, mission-driven company. As DeepMind continues to grow, we are now seeking to hire a Program Specialist.
The purpose of this role, reporting to the Central Projects Manager, is to lead and manage multiple complex projects to enable DeepMind to grow and scale at pace. You will work with a multitude of different stakeholders across the organisation to understand the business’ priorities, needs, and nuances in order to continuously review, optimise, and create processes to enable us to step-change our operational effectiveness.
We’re looking for a talented, driven individual who wants to be part of an exceptional team, in an inspiring and collaborative environment, working on ground-breaking technology with potentially extraordinary impact. You’ll be working with some of the best and brightest minds which takes the highest levels of expertise, enthusiasm and attention to detail. It is a dream role for someone who thrives in fast paced, changeable environments and is looking to define their career within a company that could change the world.
At DeepMind we've created a unique environment where long-term ambitious research can flourish. Our world-class interdisciplinary team combines the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning and systems neuroscience to build powerful general-purpose learning algorithms. We have already made a number of high profile breakthroughs towards building artificial general intelligence and have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years.
ABOUT THE TEAM:
The work of the Central Projects team spans the whole organisation, supporting in both the maintenance of day to day operational tasks, alongside continuously pursuing the improvement of key processes. This team plays a critical role in supporting the organisation’s ability to grow and scale at pace with our sole aim to enable teams to deliver our DeepMind mission.
This role is focused on leading and managing a variety of complex multidisciplinary operational programs and projects across the organisation. By building strong relationships and understanding the needs of the business, this individual will deliver sustainable and scalable operational solutions to enable the organisation to grow and flourish. It requires someone who is innovative in their approach, and highly collaborative in their working style. They will have previous project management and operations experience, great judgement, exceptional communication skills, and a passion to continuously challenge the status quo in order to improve everything they work on.
You will be expected to:
- Project manage and lead a number of different multidisciplinary operational programs and projects across the organisation
- Manage the full end-to-end lifecycle of project deliverables and dependencies
- Use your knowledge of project methodologies to deliver projects for the team(s) you partner with including knowing when to use relevant tools and techniques
- Partner with multiple stakeholders across numerous functions of all different levels
- Think ahead and manage priorities and risks, anticipating issues and proposing creative and innovative solutions
- Be an ambassador for change management; communicating and ensuring change lasts
- Identify the need to improve and optomise ways of working, tools or processes
- Be flexible and adaptive to adjust project plans and strategies as new information is gained or as project conditions change.
- Facilitate conversations, meetings and ideas sharing
- Facilitate clarity where ambiguity exists helping to create actions and task owners
- Maintain up-to-date program information, track issues and provide stakeholders with timely reports
- Actively share critical information with key decision makers and stakeholders, driving the best outcome for DeepMind
Experienced in program management, you perform best in a fast-paced environment. You are used to working independently, often with little or no direction, thinking on the spot, and you have experience of working across multiple stakeholders. Your colleagues describe you as reliable, insightful, self-aware, and personable.
- You have proven experience leading multiple successful operational programs and projects in fast paced organisations (tech is preferable but not mandatory).
- You have a natural ability to build relationships with people. You put people at ease, create understanding and instil trust. Your knowledge and approach means that people actively seek your guidance
- You are calm under pressure and are able to handle a range of issues with diplomacy and discretion
- You are extremely organised, are highly effective at prioritisation, and have an appetite for working in very fast paced, changeable and ambiguous environments.
- Driven, self-aware and self-disciplined; you take responsibility for your own behaviour and get your motivation from within, rather than relying on others
- You consistently strive to empower yourself to find a better way to do things and seek to improve all aspects of your work with the initiative to solve problems with creative and innovative solutions.
- You are a team player through and through - always looking for opportunities to support and contribute to the team culture and goals
- You have a resilient nature and can read a situation and act appropriately, remaining calm even in the most stressful of situations.
- You are naturally curious, comfortable context switching regularly, and have the ability to work across a large range of different subjects with ease, quickly gaining the knowledge you need to be effective.
- You are prepared for anything and willing to roll up your sleeves in order to get the job done - no task is too big or too small.
- Most of all, you instinctively act with absolute discretion and diplomacy, and apply sound judgement in responding to all circumstances - predictable and unpredictable.
- With a can-do attitude and a thirst for learning you are excited to make this role your own
- You are looking for a career defining role and are ready to commit to this long term mission. The chance to be a key part of something extraordinary, the opportunity to make a real difference.
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.