Role: Media Relations Manager, Communications and Public Engagement team
Location: London, UK
This is an opportunity to join a phenomenal team of people in a mission-driven company. DeepMind continues to grow and is now seeking an experienced media relations professional who will lead on key research and news moments for the company.
This role will have a particular focus on media relations activity across the US and Canada but will also be a senior member of the team able to apply their skills and knowledge across a wide range of strategic areas.
In this role, you will use your network, experience and creativity to devise and execute communications strategies for DeepMind’s research breakthroughs and applied projects. You’ll build strong relationships with journalists and become a trusted partner to teams across the organisation.
This is a chance for an experienced, proactive, creative, collaborative person to make a tangible difference to the work of one of the most exciting and unique companies in the world. Plus, you’ll contribute to the public understanding of AI - familiar to many as a buzzword but still yet to be fully understood in terms of its potential impact.
This role would suit someone who thrives in fast-paced, ever-changing environments and is now looking to define their career within a company that could change the world.
Initially based in London and reporting to the global Media Relations Lead, this role requires creative and thoughtful ideas, excellent personal communication skills and the ability to build trusted relationships inside and outside the organisation.
A deep understanding of the US media landscape is vital, and as this role requires regular travel to the US and Canada, you’ll have to be flexible and full of initiative, able to build trust and lasting relationships with stakeholders quickly.
This will be no typical media relations role; instead you will have the opportunity to apply your innovative thinking in an unconventional and adventurous organisation. You’ll draw on your significant experience to advise teams across the business on important, challenging and topical issues in the news, in science and research more generally, and you’ll work to bring diverse perspectives from the outside world in.
- Devise and execute communications plans for a wide range of announcements and topics, from scientific breakthroughs and research papers to company news
- Lead our day to day media strategy for the United States and Canada
- Build and maintain a broad network of relationships with relevant journalists
- Devise the strategy for and execute on media briefings and press events including supporting senior leaders with media activity, talks and other relevant activities
- Build strong relationships internally, becoming a trusted senior advisor to colleagues across the organisation on a wide range of issues and scenarios
- Triage and manage media enquiries and contribute to the smooth and effective running of the team’s press office function.
- You’ll have significant experience working in US media with a wide network, the skills to grow it and a deep bank of knowledge and examples to draw from;
- You’ll have experience of working in, or a demonstrable passion for, science, technology and research;
- You’ll be driven by a sense of mission and purpose rather than hierarchy - comfortable meeting editors and working closely with leaders, but also happy building coverage reports and writing briefing materials;
- You’ll be an avid reader, watcher and listener, not only to improve your understanding of the media and the daily news but to deepen your understanding of the world around us;
- You’ll have impeccable conduct and high integrity, understanding comms is not just what we say, but our behaviours and the standards to which we hold ourselves.
Opening date: 28th March, 2019
Closing date: 25th April, 2019
Competitive salary applies
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.