DeepMind is the world leader in artificial intelligence research and its application for positive social impact. We’re on a scientific mission to push the boundaries of AI by developing programs that can learn to solve any complex problem without needing to be taught how.
To support this goal, we’ve created a passionate and engaging culture, which combines the best of academia and industry. Our unique approach to research encourages interdisciplinary collaboration across all teams at DeepMind, providing an impressive balance of structure and flexibility, and bringing together expertise from a wide range of areas.
DeepMind Ethics and Society
The DeepMind Ethics and Society team supports the organization’s overall mission, to solve intelligence and use it to help make the world a better place, by exploring the full range of ethical and social implications that accompany the development of AI technologies.
At present, we focus on six thematic areas. These are: privacy, transparency and fairness; AI morality and values; governance and accountability; managing AI risk; the economic impact of AI; and AI and the world’s complex challenges. Taken together, our research supports DeepMind’s goal of innovating responsibly and developing AI technologies that benefit everyone.
Ethics Research Scientist
To support this work, we are seeking highly-talented and driven ethics researchers to join the Ethics and Society team. As a core member of the team, your role will involve conducting world-class research into the ethical questions surrounding AI and its potential consequences.
The position will require an interdisciplinary approach to research and a willingness to collaborate widely with projects across the whole of DeepMind. The successful candidate will also play an active role promoting ethical best practice within DeepMind, by supporting training and review processes.
Experience in an academic discipline, such as applied ethics, bioethics, moral philosophy, social science research, ethics, or science and technology studies is essential. You will also need to have some familiarity with AI, machine learning, applied mathematics or statistics.
- Produce pioneering, peer-reviewed research into AI ethics, morality, and related fields
- Develop ethically-aligned and socially responsible research, projects, experiments, and designs, in collaboration with other researchers at DeepMind
- Design and run ethics training programs to help teams understand and foresee the ethical implications of new technologies
- Deliver supporting ethics case studies and analyses, primarily for internal use
- Contribute to the development of ethical expertise in the field by preparing briefings, and attending panel discussions and conferences
- PhD in applied ethics, moral philosophy, bioethics, or related field
- Experience in an academic institution, a think tank, or equivalent industry role, or similar in a role dealing with complex ethical challenges
- Ability to quickly evaluate complex issues and work across science and technology areas
- Team player and the ability to exercise good judgement in a rapidly changing environment
- Excellent personal, analytical and organisational skills
- Excellent communicator, in person and in writing
- Experience with critical approaches to science and technology studies, e.g. value sensitive design, responsible innovation, feminist methodology, etc.
- Familiarity teaching applied ethics
- Training in research design and methodology, with the ability to conduct well-grounded empirical research in quantitative, qualitative or mixed methods
- Experience in managing projects
- Experience with applied technologies in ethically important industries
- Experience researching the implications of emerging technologies
- Formal training in moral or political philosophy
- Membership of organisational ethics board
Competitive salary applies.
Opening date: 12th March, 2019
Closing date: 12th April, 2019
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.