Production Engineer, London
This is a rare opportunity to join a phenomenal team of people in a complex, mission-driven company. DeepMind continues to grow and we are now seeking an experienced Broadcast Production Engineer to lead and drive production technology projects in our workplace. We’re looking for a highly talented and driven individual who wants to be part of an exceptional team, in an inspiring and collaborative environment. You’ll be working with some of the best and brightest minds which takes skill, enthusiasm and an exceptional attention to detail. With a people first approach, this role would suit someone who thrives in fast-paced, changing environments and is looking to define their career within a company that could change the world.
At DeepMind we've created a unique environment for long-term ambitious research to flourish in. Our world-class interdisciplinary team combines the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning and systems neuroscience to build powerful general-purpose learning algorithms. We have already made a number of high profile breakthroughs towards general AI and as part of Google/Alphabet we now have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years.
The mission of DeepMind is to solve intelligence, the Production Engineering team work to design, develop and support world class production spaces supporting our research teams by allowing them to easily and seamlessly communicate, leveraging advanced technology to bridge geographically diverse teams.
This is a unique role that offers a diverse workload from systems design and continual improvement to low level support of the entire signal chain, from acquisition all the way through to Internet distribution.
Reporting to the Production Engineering Lead, you will help define and drive user requirements, be responsible for following design guidelines, assisting with technical design and acting as a point of technical escalation for global event spaces.
Just as we have ambitious research goals, we have ambitious goals for our production systems, we are looking to embrace and develop upon cutting edge IP video and audio technologies to provide the tools our research teams require to change the world.
- Assisting with detailed technical design
- Acting as point of escalation for local systems issues
- Escalating issues to manufacturers as appropriate
- Identifying and bridging technology gaps and working with production equipment manufacturers to resolve.
- Managing site upgrades to ensure operational stability
- Supporting ad-hoc requirements from research teams
- Ensure facility documentation is up to date and correct.
- Generate the ideas required to solve a problem, even if the problem is ambiguous, and take full ownership of the solution; ability to take a vague project and organize it into clear goals and objectives, and break down larger projects / processes into sub-projects and sub-processes.
- Lead research projects, managing suppliers, integrators and budgets.
- Ensure uptime and QOS across facilities by implementing both proactive and reactive support processes.
- Establish the feasibility of any minor developments including the production of costing, effort, and timescales for management approval.
- You have experience working with IP video technologies, such as Aspen, 2022-6/7, and ST2110
- You have experience working with IP audio technologies, such as Dante, AES67
- You have a deep understanding of baseband video standards and troubleshooting
- You have experience working with analog audio and troubleshooting signal chains.
- You have a deep understanding of IP networks, including but not limited to, IGMP, DNS, DHCP, routing, L2 encryption technologies.
- You are able to troubleshoot and analyse network behaviors using packet capture and inspection tools
- You have experience working with high profile live productions
- You have experience scheduling technical resources
- You are an excellent communicator and are able to communicate complex technical concepts to the non technical
- You are able to maintain calm in a stressful situation
- You have a logical approach to troubleshooting
- Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization
- Have a broad technical background as the scope of projects will be diverse.
- Must be a team player and able to work collaboratively with and through others
- You have experience working with AutoCAD to manage technical facility documentation
- Previous knowledge of EVS IPDirector, Ross production switchers, Evertz Routing & Glue, Contribution Encoders, digital video codecs and Internet streaming advantageous
- Finally, you are excited to push the boundaries of broadcast technologies, identifying gaps in technology and working with equipment manufacturers to fill them
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.