This is an opportunity to join a phenomenal team of people in a complex, mission-driven company. DeepMind continues to grow and is now seeking an experienced assistant to support our Director of Public Engagement & Communications. This role will involve managing all administrative duties for the director and the wider communications team, so they can focus entirely on DeepMind’s mission and strategy.
Reporting to the Executive Assistant to the CEO, you will be a core part of the communications team, resolving operational and administrative issues before they arise, and moving quickly to adapt to changing priorities. You’ll coordinate the Director’s diary, know his whereabouts at all times, anticipate his needs and ensure he is prepared for each day.
In addition, this role will require efficient team-level support including co-ordinating and minuting meetings, filing legal documentation and raising purchase orders.
This is a chance for a proactive, self-starting assistant to make a tangible difference to the work of one of the most exciting and unusual companies in the world. We’re looking for a highly talented and driven individual who wants to be part of an exceptional team, in an inspiring and collaborative environment, working on ground-breaking technology with potentially extraordinary impact. You’ll be working with some of the best and brightest minds which takes skill, enthusiasm and an exceptional attention to detail.
You’re an experienced assistant and perform best in a fast-paced environment. You’ve got bags of energy and a keen interest to continue to grow your career in supporting and enabling others. Your colleagues describe you as dependable, savvy, self-aware and efficient. You have a can-do attitude and a thirst for learning.
This role is - quite simply - the opportunity of a lifetime for someone with a passion for enabling exceptional individuals and who is looking to advance their career within a company that could change the world.
- You are proactive and see what needs to be done. You know what your manager has to do everyday, what must be achieved and the deadlines so that you can assist to reduce stress and setbacks.
- You bring your expertise and knowledge as an EA or PA to the table, ensuring you proactively support your manager, create and maintain effective systems, and drive team-wide efficiencies.
- You instinctively act with absolute discretion and diplomacy, and apply sound judgement in responding to circumstances - predictable and unpredictable. Loyalty and confidentiality is a must. You act as a trusted partner for your manager, able to handle even the most sensitive conversations and tasks, while still creating positive and effective relationships with others.
- Every moment of the day is used and you apply superb diary management skills to handle this effectively. You adapt tech skills to create and manage time-saving solutions. You anticipate your manager's needs, questions and any obstacles they might be facing ahead of time.
- You are extremely organised, used to working at a very fast pace, juggling many different tasks in changeable and ambiguous environments, whilst at the same time ensuring impeccable attention to detail. You share your manager’s need for effective execution at pace.
- Preparation and research is second nature, allowing you to always stay one step ahead. You have prior experience creating detailed (and ever changing!) itineraries and plans down to the very last detail.
- You are willing to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in with anything; from making coffees for visitors and grabbing lunch, to creating presentations for internal and external events. Your “get stuck in” mentality means that no task is too big or too small.
- Driven, self-aware and self-disciplined; you take responsibility for your own behaviour and get your energy from within, rather than relying on others. You strive to succeed and constantly improve.
- You have a natural ability to build relationships with people. You put people at ease, create understanding and instil trust. Your knowledge and approach means that people actively seek your guidance.
- You are keen to be part of a wider team and happy to support on essential team administration to keep the work flowing smoothly (e.g. raising POs, filing legal documentation, minute-taking and arranging meetings). You build effective relationships with your managers team, other EAs and assistants, and the wider company to ensure things get done on time.
You will need to use your previous experience and show initiative in order to fully carve out your contribution in this role. You will be managed and mentored by the Executive Assistant to the CEO and join a team that supports the Executive and Senior Management teams at DeepMind.
You will also be a member of the wider communications and public engagement team; your success at DeepMind will depend on the connections you build and relationships you grow, working within a close knit team of highly committed, passionate and collaborative people.
The effective functioning of the communications & public engagement team depends upon operating at pace, finding creative solutions, and - crucially - ensuring effective collaborations on time-sensitive projects. The successful candidate will facilitate effective collaboration and highly-functional relationship building both within and outside DeepMind.
- Act as a point of contact and an ambassador for DeepMind
- Prepare briefing documents for key internal and external meetings to ensure context, meeting partners and any previous action points are clear
- Coordinate complex diaries for meetings, interviews, conference calls and appointments across numerous time zones and on behalf of multiple people
- Arrange domestic and international travel e.g. hotel and restaurant reservations, flight check-in, visas, foreign currency, full travel itineraries and overseas transport
- Draft reports, executive summaries, newsletters and prepare presentations / other communications as required
- Help coordinate team meetings and circulate agendas - ensuring everyone is well prepared, time is used effectively and actions are complete
- Welcome guests and ensure they have a great visitors experience - ensuring room set-up, providing an office tour and offering refreshments
- Collaborate on all administration and operational processes making suggestions for continuous improvement to grow efficiencies
- Help arrange business and team events e.g. off-sites, lunches, talks, seminars, visitors
- Provide personal support / errand running e.g. lunch, post, travel etc.
- Undertake financial administration e.g. submit expense claims and approve purchase order requests
- Scan, copy, file and maintain an effective archiving system (online and offline) particularly with regards to the processing of legal documentation
- Partner with the Director of Communications & Public Engagement, the People & Culture team and Program Managers to assist on people led initiatives within the team
- Work closely with the wider operations teams to provide support during busy periods, including the Senior Management Team as required
- Work in conjunction with the other Assistants to help resolve complex operational and administrative issues, whilst continuing to adapt to changing priorities within your team
This is a career defining role and you must be ready to commit to this long term mission. This opportunity offers the chance to be a key part of something extraordinary and the opportunity to make a real difference.
Please include a cover letter when applying and tell us how you can make a difference to our team.
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.