Role: Research Scientist (Medical Imaging), Health Research
Over the past three years we’ve built a specialist team who know what it takes to deploy clinical tools in practice - engineers, clinicians, translational researchers and more. In that time, we’ve also made major advances in healthcare AI research: detecting eye disease more quickly and accurately than experts; planning cancer radiotherapy treatment in seconds rather than hours; and working to detect patient deterioration from electronic records.
Our vision is for Streams to now become an AI-powered assistant for nurses and doctors everywhere - combining the best algorithms with intuitive design, all backed up by rigorous evidence. The team working within Google, alongside brilliant colleagues from across the organisation, will help make this vision a reality.
We are looking for highly talented and driven individuals who want to be part of an exceptional team, work in an inspiring and collaborative environment, and join a company focused on ground-breaking technology with potentially extraordinary impact.
Our team of Research Scientists aren’t cloistered in a secret lab but are embedded throughout the organization, allowing them to set up large-scale tests and deploy promising ideas quickly and broadly. Ideas may come from internal projects as well as from collaborations with research programs at partner universities and technical institutes all over the world. From creating experiments and prototyping implementations to designing new architectures, Research Scientists work on real-world problems using artificial intelligence, natural language processing, hardware and software performance analysis, improving compilers for mobile platforms, as well as core search and much more. We encourage you to stay connected to your research roots as an active contributor to the wider research community by partnering with universities and publishing papers.
Our team of researchers, many renowned in their respective fields, focus on aspects within Machine Learning, Artificial intelligence and Neuroscience, including but not limited to deep neural models, reinforcement learning algorithms and biologically inspired models with the overall goal of building powerful general-purpose learning algorithms. We are active in the wider research community through publications and partner with top academics. We have created a passionate and engaging culture, combining the best of academia and product led environments, providing a supportive balance of structure and flexibility. Our unique approach encourages collaboration across all groups and especially with the DeepMind Research team, leading to ambitious creativity and the scope for innovative breakthroughs at the forefront of research.
Our aim is to build AI technologies and prove their positive social impact. We work with hospitals on mobile tools and AI research to help get patients from test to treatment as quickly and accurately as possible. Data security and appropriate handling of data is a top priority for our team and our interdisciplinary team of computer scientists and clinical researchers work closely together with hospitals, such as Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, to identify and solve the tasks that make a real difference.
- Design, implement and evaluate models, agents and software prototypes
- Report and present research findings and developments including status and results clearly and efficiently both internally and externally, verbally and in writing.
- Suggest and engage in team collaborations to meet research goals.
- Work with external collaborators and maintain relationships with relevant research labs and key individuals as appropriate.
- Support the strategic planning of the team by providing research leadership
- Mentor and support the team of research engineers across multiple projects
- PhD in a technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong knowledge in deep learning
- Knowledge and experience working with medical imaging data
- PhD in machine learning or computer science.
- Strong knowledge and experience in convolutional neural networks
- Experience working with deep learning methods for segmentation of medical images
- Experience in translating medical problems into machine learning problems
- Relevant experience to the position such as post doctoral roles, a proven track record of publications, or deep neural network architectures.
Competitive salary applies.
We welcome applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.