Our mission at DeepMind is to solve intelligence and use it to make the world a better place. We all have a critical role and responsibility in defining how AI research is conducted and ultimately what AI will mean for the world . We have exceptionally ambitious goals, and to achieve them, we need an equally exceptional culture. We aim to combine the best of business and academia to create a workplace in which deep, thoughtful inquiry and fast, creative progress are equally valued, and can work together to yield innovative breakthroughs at the forefront of AI research and application.
Our role in the Program Team is to organise and enable our people and teams to be the best at what they do and to make fast-paced progress towards our mission of solving AGI. We continually pursue scalable and sustainable ways to optimise research, striving to create the conditions that allow for people to be both highly collaborative and deeply creative, making responsible and pioneering research progress at pace. We build strong trusting relationships with team(s) of experts, bringing clarity to ambiguity and providing stability during change. We are active, curious and thoughtful about deepening our understanding of people; their preferences, their needs and their work. We use our leadership and coaching skills to support and enable people and teams to do their very best work together. We continually deepen our knowledge of our own domain and AGI, working alongside researchers and engineers to ensure all of our work is contributing to DeepMind’s mission.
This is a support role with three core strands:
- Enabling Teams
- Planning & Delivering Projects
- Understanding Technology
- Continually develop a deep understanding of people, their preferences, motivators and needs.
- Use the above understanding of your team members to enable individuals to collaborate effectively, gain new perspectives and solve problems.
- Facilitate opportunities for collaboration between team members and create relevant connections and relationships
- Listen to others with empathy seeking to understand any issues they are facing and where possible helping them to identify solutions, or escalate the issue.
- Understand the individuals in your research group -- their preferences, strengths and development areas escalating any areas of concern to a PgM or a member of P&C
- Anticipate obstacles before they arise, where possible try to resolve these, and where not possible ensure these are escalated to the PgM you support
- Care about the engagement levels of all of your team members and encourage them to be able to achieve their full potential
- Main point of contact for new joiners in your team to help support their induction and onboarding experience
- Champion and role model the DeepMind culture and values
- Take part in interviews for new team members looking for similarities between the candidates preferred working style and the DeepMind culture and values
- Support your team with our bi-annual Perf appraisal process reminding team members and managers of the timeline and process and being a sounding board to help them prepare their submissions
Planning & Delivering Projects
- Support the PgMs with the planning of a project
- Maintain up-to-date research program data, track issues and provide timely reports using templates and tools provided
- Maintain up-to-date research milestone data and communicate progress
- Distill company information that is relevant and important for your team, sharing these in a way that is useful and resonates with each person
- Support the running of a smooth project, this may include when requested hosting retrospectives, stand ups, project planning meetings
- Facilitate conversations between small groups of people, this may be to support the agreement on priorities and timelines
- Facilitate clarity where ambiguity exists helping to create clarity on next steps, actions and task owners
- Support members of your team to be able to share their work, this may include partnering with them to create presentations, posters, or ensuring their papers are proofed, approved and submitted on time
- Schedule and manage team meetings with an agenda, actions and follow ups
- You should be focused on learning about the technical field you support
- You will be able to be responsible for following established processes such as the paper approval process or the milestones approval process.
- You should be able to articulate how the work of your team links to the overall DeepMind mission
- You may be asked to support the development of new or existing vendor relationships including onboarding new vendors and working with the research support team to ensure contracts, purchase orders etc are in place
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & BEHAVIOURS REQUIRED
- You are self-aware, learning from experience and feedback
- You can see situations from several perspectives and can help bridge the gap between these
- When challenges will come your way, you embrace them and stay optimistic
- You are a champion of change and help to explain the purpose and goals of changes to others
- You have a strong sense of integrity
- Ability to build relationships and foster trust with a diverse group of people and stakeholders
- You believe in the value of teamwork and are able to constructively challenge others
- You are able to listen to different views and challenge your own assumptions, encouraging others to do the same
- You are quick to share credit, praise and to recognize others strengths
- You are adaptable and flexible
Planning & Delivering Projects
- Proven administration and scheduling experience
- Highly organised with the ability to juggle multiple priorities
- Basic understanding of project management practices
- Experience working in a constantly changing and dynamic environment
- Expert knowledge of using standard office tools in G-suite
- You should use your observational skills to see what needs to be done and then be able to problem solve to make it happen
- You have an aptitude and willingness to learn and develop your project leadership skills, including learning a variety of project management methodologies
- You have a curious mindset and are committed to continuous learning about pioneering research and technology
- You are actively interested in learning about research fundamentals, such as information theory and mathematics.
- You are excited by the opportunity to solve AGI and the benefits this can bring to our World
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Competitive salary applies.