Our mission at DeepMind is to solve intelligence and use it to make the world a better place. We all have a critical role and responsibility in defining how AI research is conducted and ultimately what AI will mean for the world . We have exceptionally ambitious goals, and to achieve them, we need an equally exceptional culture. We aim to combine the best of business and academia to create a workplace in which deep, thoughtful inquiry and fast, creative progress are equally valued, and can work together to yield innovative breakthroughs at the forefront of AI research and application.
Our role in the Program Team is to organise and enable our people and teams to be the best at what they do and to make fast-paced progress towards our mission of solving AGI. We continually pursue scalable and sustainable ways to optimise research, striving to create the conditions that allow for people to be both highly collaborative and deeply creative, making responsible and pioneering research progress at pace. We build strong trusting relationships with team(s) of experts, bringing clarity to ambiguity and providing stability during change. We are active, curious and thoughtful about deepening our understanding of people; their preferences, their needs and their work. We use our leadership and coaching skills to support and enable people and teams to do their very best work together. We continually deepen our knowledge of our own domain and AGI, working alongside researchers and engineers to ensure all of our work is contributing to DeepMind’s mission.
The Research Program Manager role has four core strands:
- Enabling Teams
- Planning & Leading Projects
- Product Delivery
- Understanding AGI Research
Continually develop a deep understanding of people, their preferences, motivators and needs:
- Use this understanding to support and enable individuals to collaborate effectively, continually grow and develop and do their best mission focussed work.
- Provide 1-2-1 coaching for individuals to unlock their thinking/approach and help them to move forwards
- Encourage everyone in DeepMind to respect and care for our teammates and ourselves
Partner with the team lead to create the conditions and dynamics needed to create healthy, high performing teams that produce world class pioneering and mission focussed work:
- Support the building of an inclusive culture
- Facilitate conversations that allow constructive challenge
- Facilitate opportunities for collaboration and create relevant connections across teams
- Facilitate brainstorming and idea sharing, whether to identify key themes, simplify complex problems or discover solutions
- Facilitate opportunities for collaboration between team members and create relevant connections and relationships
- Care about the engagement levels of all of your team members and encourage them to be able to achieve their full potential
- Support and challenge people in your teams and projects to continually grow and develop
- Support your team with our bi-annual Perf appraisal process reminding team members and managers of the timeline and process and being a sounding board to help them prepare their submissions
Role model the DeepMind values and culture:
- Build relationships with multiple stakeholders from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Engage credibly and articulately when presenting information in order to influence the right outcome
- Share constructive feedback with team members successfully and challenging established ways of thinking in a considered fashion
- Take part in interviews for new team members looking for similarities between the candidates preferred working style and the DeepMind culture and values
Planning & Delivering Projects
Optimise scalable and sustainable ways of organising our work to achieve our mission:
- Support the PgMs with any required elements of project planning and delivery
- Using your knowledge of project methodologies to deliver projects for the team(s) you partner with including knowing when to use tools and techniques such as stand ups, retrospectives, agile boards, project plans etc
- Identifying the need to improve ways of working, tools or processes
- Responsible for end-to-end lifecycle of project deliverables and dependencies
- Thinking ahead and managing priorities and risks, anticipating issues and propose solutions
- Flexibility and adaptability to adjust project plans and strategies as new information is gained or as project conditions change.
- Facilitate conversations, meetings and ideas sharing
- Facilitate clarity where ambiguity exists helping to create clarity on next steps, actions and task owners
- Support members of your team to be able to share their work, this may include partnering with them to create presentations, posters, or ensuring their papers are proofed, approved and submitted on time
Actively share critical information with key decision makers and stakeholders, driving the best outcome for DeepMind:
- Maintain up-to-date research program information, track issues and provide stakeholders with timely reports
- Maintain up-to-date research milestone data and communicate progress
- Identify and involve relevant stakeholders and resources required to deliver the project
- Distill company information that is relevant and important for your team, sharing these in a way that is useful and resonates with each person
Be an ambassador for change, and support others through the change cycle:
- Ability to operate within an ambiguous environment while providing clarity and stability for your team.
- Being a pragmatic point of contact within the team who encourages a pragmatic approach
You work with your team to deliver products in addition to projects. You are responsible to making sure that all the right things are happening for a successful product launch, landing, and future iteration.
- Make sure there is an owner and plan for different product areas - eg user feedback + interaction, launch and communication plans, roadmap, feature definitions/prioritization,
- Together with the PgM and Product Owners identify gaps in responsibilities for the product or potential problems that might impact delivery, and take steps to make sure they are covered.
- Work in collaboration with leads and team members, and PMs to ensure regular communication with internal customers, updates to relevant stakeholders, awareness of integration points.
Understanding AGI Research
Seek opportunities to continually deepen understanding of research and technology within the AGI domain:
- Demonstrate a curious mindset and a commitment to continuous learning about pioneering research and technology
- Understanding the mission to the extent of being able to draw meaningful connection and create purpose for your team
- Understanding of the field of study or focus for the team you support
Use your understanding of your teams technical field and your broader understanding of AGI to inform how you enable people, teams and optimize research:
- Supporting your team(s) to pre-empt research requirements such as technical dependencies on other teams, or requirements for compute power
- Ensuring relevant technical documentation exists and is saved centrally, such as papers and reports
- Where required you may also be involved in sourcing and evaluating relevant vendors, and negotiating contracts which may require some technical understanding
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & BEHAVIOURS REQUIRED
- You have a proven ability to support individuals to perform through 1-2-1 coaching and support
- You can create a collaborative team environment enabling high performance of the individuals and of the team
- You can support others to understand different perspectives and use this ability to continually help teams to find common ground
- You have excellent communication and influencing skills and can use these when interacting with key stakeholders
- You have proven experience in building relationships with people from a diverse background
- You act as the leader of change and need to be comfortable with considered discomfort and challenge
Planning & Delivering Projects
- Knowledge and expertise of project and programme management including adapting methodologies and tools to suit the needs of the team(s) and of the project
- Initiative to solve problems with solutions that are repeatable, scalable and sustainable
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to act with confidence in a high performance culture
- Experience in, and an appetite for, working in a fast paced, constantly changing and dynamic environment
Understanding AGI Research
- You have experience supporting research or engineering teams to deliver projects
- You seize opportunities to acquire new knowledge and have an aptitude to learn
- You are passionate about solving artificial general intelligence
- Any knowledge and familiarity with technical concepts such as information theory, mathematics, technical architectures, statistics, computer science, machine learning or reinforcement learning is an advantage but not a requirement
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Competitive salary applies.