Technical Program Manager -
DeepMind's mission is to "Solve intelligence. Use it to make the world a better place." The Research Platform team's objective is "Effortless artificial general intelligence Research". We are a core group of 45 SWEs within DeepMind Research who work to provide a best-in-class research workflow. We build tools, infrastructure, libraries, frameworks, services, and products to enable and accelerate the next generation of research ideas.
Research Platform plays a critical role in the mission of DeepMind in multiple ways. In the simplest form, improving the workflow has a super-linear impact on research productivity, as not only does it free up more time - but the extra cognitive space can allow new research ideas to flourish that would otherwise never happen.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about building infrastructure and products to help enable research at scale. No machine learning experience is required for this role.
About The Job:
As a TPM in the Research Platform team you’ll use your technical and program management expertise to support engineering teams and collaborate to deliver impactful work. This includes three areas of focus:
- Partnering with teams
- Delivering projects
- Understanding AGI research
You’ll work closely with the ML Programming and Performance teams, partnering with the leads on planning and projects. You’ll lead efforts to better understand researcher workflow, and communicate analysis back to the team to ensure we’re working on the highest priority tools and infrastructure.
- Partnering with the Performance team manager to ensure the team is supported in their work and providing project management support where needed.
- Partnering with the ML Programming team and supporting projects around exploration and development of ML Languages and Frameworks. Working to make existing ML-Languages such asTensorFlow fit-for-purpose for DeepMind research.
- Working with cross functional teams across Google to foster relationships and help ensure good project collaboration (XLA, TensorFlow, Platforms team)
- Analyzing researcher workflows (via 1-1 interviews and analysis) to better understand where there is potential for impact and determine the impact of current tools and infrastructure.
- Developing best practices and the right level of process within the teams.
- Use technical judgment to drive project direction, challenge proposals and build consensus across teams.
- Ability to analyze and report on various streams of data (or to set up systems to collect data where they don’t exist)
- Basic scripting and python knowledge
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to distill complex ideas to their essence
- Ability to do well in a rapidly changing environment
- An interest in DeepMind's mission and AI / Machine Learning
- Initiative to solve problems with solutions that are repeatable, scalable and sustainable
- Flexible, adaptable and highly responsive to the needs of the project, team and wider group.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, related fields or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with Python and SQL
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience (project management or software development).
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Opening date: 10th January, 2019
Closing date: 7th February, 2019
Competitive salary applies.