Our mission at DeepMind is to solve intelligence and use it to make the world a better place. We all have a critical role and responsibility in defining how AI research is conducted and ultimately what AI will mean for the world . We have exceptionally ambitious goals, and to achieve them, we need an equally exceptional culture. We aim to combine the best of business and academia to create a workplace in which deep, thoughtful inquiry and fast, creative progress are equally valued, and can work together to yield innovative breakthroughs at the forefront of AI research and application.
Our role in the Program Team is to organise and enable our people and teams to be the best at what they do and to make fast-paced progress towards our mission of solving AGI. We continually pursue scalable and sustainable ways to optimise research, striving to create the conditions that allow for people to be both highly collaborative and deeply creative, making responsible and pioneering research progress at pace. We build strong trusting relationships with team(s) of experts, bringing clarity to ambiguity and providing stability during change. We are active, curious and thoughtful about deepening our understanding of people; their preferences, their needs and their work. We use our leadership and coaching skills to support and enable people and teams to do their very best work together. We continually deepen our knowledge of our own domain and AGI, working alongside researchers and engineers to ensure all of our work is contributing to DeepMind’s mission.
The Research Program Manager role has three core strands:
- Enabling Teams
- Planning & Leading Projects
- Understanding AGI Research
Continually develop a deep understanding of people, their preferences, motivators and needs:
- Use this understanding to support and enable individuals to collaborate effectively, continually grow and develop and do their best mission focussed work.
- Provide 1-2-1 coaching for individuals to unlock their thinking/approach and help them to move forwards
- Encourage everyone in DeepMind to respect and care for our teammates and ourselves
- Actively monitor and measure the engagement of your team finding ways to optimise engagement and retain mission critical skills
- Mentoring, guidance and support to other members of the PgX team
Partner with leaders, managers, and other specialist teams, to create the conditions and dynamics needed to create healthy, high performing teams that produce world class pioneering work:
- Create an environment for individuals and high performing teams to thrive and research to flourish
- Partner with the Manager(s) and Leads and support their development as leaders or managers including coaching, mentoring or helping them find the correct resources/solutions to any people related ideas, issues or topics.
- Build trust and the ability to thought partner with researchers and engineers
- Support the building of an inclusive culture that fosters collaboration, cultivates original ideas, embraces curiosity
- Allow everyone to learn from each other, and to embrace opportunities to grow and evolve
- Facilitate conversations and allow others to constructively challenge
- Facilitate opportunities for collaboration and create relevant connections across teams
- Facilitate brainstorming and idea sharing, whether to identify key themes, simplify complex problems or discover solutions
- Actively challenge and resolve any conflicts that arise within teams
- Be a point of escalation for any questions, queries or people topics from the PgA and PgS team members helping to support them to unpick, unblock or solve any team related challenges
- Where required share credit, praise and recognise achievements
Role model the DeepMind values and culture:
- Build relationships with multiple stakeholders from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Engage credibly and articulately when presenting information in order to influence the right outcome
- Share constructive feedback with team members successfully
- Challenging established ways of thinking in a considered fashion
- Share the benefit of the doubt aiming to act in a respectful, dignified and kind manner towards all other members of DeepMind
- Respond to both challenges and opportunities with curiosity, seeking to get to the cause or objective rather than responding to the presenting issue or topic
Planning & Delivering Projects
Optimise scalable and sustainable ways of organising our work to achieve our mission:
- Using your knowledge of multiple project methodologies to deliver bespoke approaches for the team(s) you partner with. Identifying the need to improve ways of working, tools or processes
- Responsible for end-to-end lifecycle of project deliverables and dependencies
- Organise and optimise research into clear goals, objectives, sub-projects
- Facilitate the clear articulation of team(s)/project goals and milestones
- Thinking ahead and managing priorities and risks, anticipating issues and propose solutions
- Flexibility and adaptability to adjust project plans and strategies as new information is gained or as project conditions change.
- Navigating ambiguity, bringing clarity and being adaptable
- Strive for the optimum balance between pace, scope, quality and risk ensuring we are responsibly pioneering
- Evaluating the success of the project against its aims, goals and objectives, and sharing lessons with other teams and the PgX team
Actively share critical information with key decision makers and stakeholders, driving the best outcome for DeepMind:
- Maintain up-to-date research program information, track issues and provide stakeholders with timely reports
- Identify and involve relevant stakeholders and resources required to deliver the project
Be an ambassador for change, and support others through the change cycle:
- Ability to operate within an ambiguous environment while providing clarity and stability for your team.
- Being a pragmatic point of contact within the team who encourages a pragmatic approach
Engineering PgMs often work with their team to deliver products in addition to projects. This combines technical understanding with managing multiple streams of work and stakeholders. The PgM is responsible to making sure that all the right things are happening for a successful product launch, landing, and future iteration.
- Make sure there is an owner and plan for different product areas - eg user feedback + interaction, launch and communication plans, roadmap, feature definitions/prioritization,
- Using the above for ongoing product iterations and agile development
- Identify gaps in responsibilities for the product or potential problems that might impact delivery, and take steps to make sure they are covered.
- Work in collaboration with leads and team members, and PMs to ensure regular communication with internal customers, updates to relevant stakeholders, awareness of integration points.
Sometimes the Engineering PgM might be the owner for a feature or area, or take more of a Product Management role. They may also take responsibility for launch communications. However, the primary role is to make sure these things are happening and being done well, and that the best person is owning the various areas required for successful product delivery.
Understanding AGI Research
Seek opportunities to continually deepen understanding of research and technology within the AGI domain:
- Demonstrate a curious mindset and a commitment to continuous learning about pioneering research and technology
- Understanding the mission to the extent of being able to draw meaningful connection and create purpose
Use your understanding of your teams technical field and your broader understanding of AGI to inform how you enable people, teams and optimize research:
- Supporting your team(s) to pre-empt research requirements such as technical dependencies on other teams, or requirements for compute power
- Ensuring relevant technical documentation exists and is saved centrally, such as papers and reports
- Where required you may also be involved in sourcing and evaluating relevant vendors, and negotiating contracts which may require some technical understanding
Seek connections across research and engineering, creating opportunities for ideas to complement and contribute to each other to achieve the best results at pace:
- Facilitate brainstorming and idea sharing, at times helping to identify key themes or helping teams to simplify complex problems
- Support your research team(s) to achieve research breakthroughs by presenting research to other teams and externally where required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & BEHAVIOURS REQUIRED
- You have a proven ability to support individuals to perform through 1-2-1 coaching and support
- You can create a collaborative team environment enabling high performance of the individuals and of the team
- You can support others to understand different perspectives and use this ability to continually help teams to find common ground
- You have an instinctive ability for leading and collaborating with highly intelligent people
- You have excellent communication and influencing skills and can use these when interacting with key stakeholders
- You have proven experience in building relationships with people from a diverse background
- You act as the leader of change and need to be comfortable with considered discomfort and challenge
- Understand the dynamics of teams and organisations and can use this to support higher states of team performance
Planning & Delivering Projects
- Established knowledge and expertise of project and programme management including adapting methodologies and tools to suit the needs of the team(s) and of the project
- Initiative to solve problems with solutions that are repeatable, scalable and sustainable
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to act with confidence in a high performance culture
- You are flexible, adaptable and can bring simplicity to complex process and ideas
- Experience in, and an appetite for, working in a fast paced, constantly changing and dynamic environment
Understanding AGI Research
- You have experience supporting research or engineering teams to deliver projects
- You seize opportunities to acquire new knowledge and have an aptitude to learn
- You are passionate about solving artificial general intelligence
- Any knowledge and familiarity with technical concepts such as information theory, mathematics, technical architectures, statistics, computer science, machine learning or reinforcement learning is an advantage but not a requirement
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Opening date: January 10th, 2019
Closing date: February 7th, 2019
Competitive salary applies.