Conducting research into any transformative technology comes with the responsibility to build mechanisms for safe and reliable development and deployment at every step. Technical safety research at DeepMind investigates questions related to objective specification, robustness, interpretability, and trust in machine learning systems. Proactive research in these areas is essential to the fulfilment of the long-term goal of DeepMind Research: to build safe and socially beneficial AI systems.
Research on technical AI safety draws on expertise in deep learning, reinforcement learning, statistics, and foundations of agent models. As an intern, you’ll work on the forefront of technical approaches to designing systems that reliably function as intended while discovering and mitigating possible long-term risks, in close collaboration with other AI research groups within and outside of DeepMind.
DeepMind is active within the wider research community through publications and partners with many of the world’s top academics and academic institutions. We have created a passionate and engaging culture, combining the best of academia with product led environments, providing an impressive balance of structure and flexibility.
Interns work with our Research Scientists to:
- Identify and investigate possible failure modes for current and future AI systems, and proactively develop solutions to address them
- Conduct empirical or theoretical research into technical safety mechanisms for AI systems in coordination with the team’s broader technical agenda
- Collaborate with research teams within and outside of DeepMind to ensure that AI capabilities research is informed by and adheres to the most advanced safety research and protocols
- Report and present research findings and developments to internal and external collaborators with effective written and verbal communication
- Suggest and engage in team collaborations to meet research goals
In order to apply, you should be:
- Studying towards a PhD in a technical field and/or in the natural sciences
- Available for 16-20 weeks within 2019 (please note: there is no fixed start month)
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Applications close on 28th January 2019