DeepMind is the world leader in artificial intelligence research and its application for positive impact. We’re on a scientific mission to push the boundaries of AI, developing programs that can learn to solve any complex problem without needing to be taught how.
If we’re successful, we believe this will be one of the most important and widely beneficial scientific advances ever made, increasing our capacity to understand the mysteries of the universe and to tackle some of our most pressing real-world challenges. From climate change to the need for radically improved healthcare, too many problems suffer from painfully slow progress, their complexity overwhelming our ability to find solutions. With AI as a multiplier for human ingenuity, those solutions will come into reach. As in all long-term research efforts there are many hurdles ahead, but our team of renowned scientists and engineers is making exciting progress.
The progress we’ve made is in part down to our approach, which combines the long-term thinking and interdisciplinary collaboration of academia, the energy and focus of a technology start-up, and the social purpose of a team fervent about amazing impact. We've created a unique environment within which long-term ambitious research can flourish. Our world-class interdisciplinary team combines the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning and systems neuroscience to build powerful general-purpose learning algorithms.
We are looking for highly talented and driven individuals to join our Ethics & Society team, which is tasked with exploring the real-world impacts of AI, helping technologists put ethics into practice, and helping society to anticipate and control the effects of AI. Ensuring that our work supports DeepMind’s mission to “solve intelligence and use it to make the world a better place” requires giving attention to the full range of social and economic impacts of AI, so that we can innovate on responsible stewardship, alongside our advances in AI science and engineering.
As we seek to expand our expertise, deepen our knowledge, and grow our external engagement on these issues, we need an individual who has extensive experience of both policy and government relations to lead our public policy work in Brussels and France. This individual will be responsible for developing and implementing DeepMind’s public policy strategy and stakeholder engagement plan for European and French government institutions, parliaments, and the wider policy community. The role will also be responsible for helping to develop and proactively communicate DeepMind’s policy positions, as well as building strong, collaborative relationships with stakeholders in Brussels and Paris.
The role will be based in DeepMind’s offices in London but will require extensive travel to Brussels and Paris.
The role requires experience working in EU policy development, as well as a strong background in emerging technology policy or related disciplines. Excellent French language skills are also essential.
- Develop and implement DeepMind’s public policy strategy and engagement plan for Brussels and France
- Lead point of contact and responsible for managing DeepMind’s relationships across EU institutions and France
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders across EU and French institutions and wider policy community to enable effective collaboration
- Contribute to the development of DeepMind’s positions on emerging and relevant public policy issues, working closely with our world class technical experts and researchers
- Provide expert written and verbal input into the development of relevant public policies in EU and France. Draft insightful and compelling policy submissions, briefings and papers
- Identify and share insights into relevant policy and political trends, determining DeepMind’s response as required and helping to anticipate emerging opportunities or risks
- Support DeepMind’s senior executives in their policy engagement and advise internal teams on the policy implications of our work
- Extensive experience working in EU policy development
- Strong grasp of AI policy issues and commitment to working towards policy solutions that benefit society
- Ability to quickly assimilate complex issues across multiple areas, including technical and regulatory issues, and distill and communicate them effectively
- Experience in building and managing complex stakeholder relationships - track record of working collaboratively towards common goals
- Strategic thinker with ability to manage complex and competing demands
- Ability to anticipate the needs of internal and external senior stakeholders and ensure effective use of their time
- Team player with the ability to exercise good judgement in a fast paced environment
- Excellent communicator - in person and in writing
- Excellent work ethic and drive to achieve
- Powerful intellectual curiosity that keeps the candidate ahead on policy debates and issues
- Masters degree or above in a relevant area
- Willingness to travel
- Excellent French language skills
- Experience in government, an academic institution, think tank, or similar
- Knowledge and experience of public policy context in France
- Experience of working on policy development in international governmental institutions or multilateral initiatives
- Experience in investigating, negotiating and publishing emerging technology policy thinking or similar, relevant material
- Knowledge and experience of wider technology policy issues
- Technical background or experience
Competitive salary applies.
Opening date: 2nd March, 2019
Closing date: 2nd April, 2019
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.