Role: Operations Support Lead
Location: Central London
This is a rare opportunity to join a phenomenal team of people in a complex, mission-driven company. DeepMind continues to grow and we are now seeking an Operations Support Lead
The overall purpose of this new role, reporting to the Director of Programs, is to build and lead the best operations support team in the world. You will be responsible for leading this team and partnering with other leads across the organisation to understand the immediate and future priorities, challenges, and opportunities impacting their teams.
We’re looking for a talented, driven individual who wants to be part of an exceptional team, in an inspiring and collaborative environment, working on ground-breaking technology with potentially extraordinary impact. You’ll be working with some of the best and brightest minds which takes the highest levels of expertise, enthusiasm and attention to detail. It is a dream role for someone who thrives in fast paced, changeable environments and is looking to define their career within a company that could change the world.
At DeepMind we've created a unique environment where long-term ambitious research can flourish. Our world-class interdisciplinary team combines the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning and systems neuroscience to build powerful general-purpose learning algorithms. We have already made a number of high profile breakthroughs towards building artificial general intelligence and have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years.
This role requires an exceptional leader, someone who is innovative in their approach, and highly collaborative in their working style. With previous practical experience, great judgement, exceptional communication skills and a passion and commitment for enabling others, this is an opportunity to help build the world’s best Operations Support Team. By building strong relationships, and understanding the needs across Research and Operations, the Operations Support Lead will coach, develop and continue to grow an incredibly high performing team that are passionate about delivering proactive support and guidance to the people they assist.
Multiple operations support teams currently exist including, but not limited to, Personal Assistants, Team Assistants and Team Coordinators. This new role will be focussed on establishing how we can merge these teams to create and develop a unified central support group. You will set out the vision and standards for this critical team, focussing on the present and designing the future, as the organisation continues to grow and change. You will need to use your previous experience and show initiative in order to fully carve out your contribution in this role.
You will be expected to:
- Develop and seek a deep and thoughtful understanding of the multiple workstreams and complexities across Research and Operations.
- Develop and seek a deep and thoughtful understanding of the current roles and people within the team with the aim to help them to optimise their role, priorities and workload so they can drive the greatest impact.
- Use this knowledge and understanding to establish this new central group to provide extraordinary support across the business whilst creating an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture.
- Work closely with your team, our leaders and the groups you support to forecast how your team will need to evolve and scale over time. Partnering with them and the recruitment team to hire exceptional talent as needed.
Alongside establishing this new team, the Operations Support Lead will be focussed on developing their team by:
- Managing the day to day operations of the group, being the point of contact for any questions or guidance.
- Developing a deep understanding of the group, their preferences, motivators and needs. Understanding each individual’s role and representing them, and the wider group, throughout the organisation.
- Providing clear and regular developmental feedback to ensure the team meet and exceed the standards required.
- Providing 1-2-1 coaching and guidance for individuals to unlock their thinking/approach and empower them to grow and develop whilst setting clear team and personal goals.
- Continually pursuing the building of an inclusive culture that fosters collaboration, cultivates original ideas, embraces curiosity, and recognises achievements.
- Facilitating close communications and decision-making across the team whilst actively challenging the group and sharing constructive feedback successfully.
- Facilitating brainstorming and idea sharing, whether to identify key themes, simplify complex problems or discover solutions. Allowing everyone to learn from each other and to proactively embrace opportunities to grow and evolve.
- Coaching and mentoring individuals to challenge established ways of thinking in a considered fashion and identifying the need to improve their ways of working, and the tools or processes they have ownership of.
- Helping to develop our processes and ways of working to continually improve our operational effectiveness.
- Thinking ahead and managing team priorities and risks, anticipating challenges and proposing solutions.
You are an experienced leader and perform best in a fast-paced environment. You are used to working independently, often with little or no direction, thinking on your feet, and you have experience of working across multiple stakeholders. Your colleagues describe you as reliable, insightful, self-aware, and personable.
- You have specific experience working within and leading support functions in fast paced organisations.
- You understand and value the critical role that a support function delivers in its ability to enable, optimise, and provide solutions.
- With a can-do attitude and a thirst for learning you are excited to make this role your own, build a world-class team, and be its ambassador across the organisation.
- You have a natural ability to build relationships with people. You put people at ease, create understanding and instil trust. Your knowledge and approach means that people actively seek your guidance
- You are calm under pressure and are able to handle a range of issues with diplomacy and discretion.
- You are extremely organised and have an appetite for working in very fast paced, changeable and ambiguous environments.
- Driven, self-aware and self-disciplined; you take responsibility for your own behaviour and get your energy from within, rather than relying on others.
- You consistently strive to empower yourself to find a better way to do things and seek to improve all aspects of your team with the initiative to solve problems with creative and innovative solutions.
- You are warm and engaging with a resilient nature and can read a situation and act appropriately, remaining calm even in the most stressful of situations.
- You are naturally curious, comfortable context switching regularly, and have the ability to work across a large range of different subjects with ease, quickly gaining the knowledge you need to be effective.
- You have previous experience of building and leading a high performing team with a similar skill set and are a passionate leader with a proven ability to support individuals to perform through coaching and guidance.
- You understand the dynamics of teams and can create a collaborative environment that enables high performance of both individuals and of the wider team.
- You are prepared for anything and willing to roll up your sleeves in order to get the job done - no task is too big or too small.
- Hierarchy isn’t important to you; collaborating as a team and working towards our mission is what drives you every day.
- Most of all, you instinctively act with absolute discretion and diplomacy, and apply sound judgement in responding to all circumstances - predictable and unpredictable.
- You are looking for a career defining role and are ready to commit to this long term mission. The chance to be a key part of something extraordinary, the opportunity to make a real difference.
Please include a cover letter when applying and tell us how you can make a difference to our team.
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.