This is an opportunity to join a phenomenal team of people in a complex, mission-driven company. DeepMind continues to grow, and is now seeking an experienced communications manager to work with our Research organisation, which includes many of the world’s leading AI scientists and engineers. Working closely with DeepMind’s Research leadership, Program Management and People & Culture teams, the internal communications manager will be responsible for creating and implementing an internal communications strategy for our Research organisation.
This is a chance for a proactive, self-starting internal communications professional to make a tangible difference to the work of one of the most exciting and unusual companies in the world. Reporting to the Director of Internal Communications, with a dotted line into the Director of Research, this role requires outstanding people skills, the ability to work effectively with world leaders from a wide range of fields, strategic thinking, fast-paced delivery under pressure, excellent judgement, and strong writing and content creation skills.
This role would suit someone who thrives in fast-paced, changeable environments and is looking to define their career within a company that could change the world.
- You have significant experience in a technology-driven or scientific organisation, with at least one role delivering impactful internal communications content across multiple channels, to large audiences.
- You take a flexible, hands-on approach, including developing content, channels and strategies from scratch.
- You have a strong interest in technology, computer science, AI, social-impact organisations or scientific research.
- You have experience producing large-scale internal meetings and events.
- You are experienced in managing organisational changes, big and small.
- You are experienced in advising senior leadership on internal communications and engagement.
- You are experienced in using metrics effectively to measure and evaluate the impact of internal communications, and make adjustments as required.
- You have experience in managing complex and time-critical projects.
You will need to use your previous experience and show initiative in order to fully carve out your contribution in this role. You will be managed by the Director of Internal Communications but work in line with the Director of Research as well as in partnership with the wider Communications, Operations and People & Culture teams.
This is not a typical internal communications role. You will have the opportunity to apply your innovative thinking to communications in an unconventional and adventurous organisation.
- Review the Research organisation’s current approach to internal communications, with a view to producing a new holistic strategy for information flow and engagement.
- Work with Research leadership to communicate our vision roadmap for Research beyond the day-to-day, helping everyone to understand how their work fits into our overall mission.
- Lead communications around our key research goals and processes.
- Partner with the Research Operations team on DeepMind’s internal Research-wide meetings, attended by hundreds of people across multiple offices.
- Play a key role in managing organisational and process changes ranging from small to large, incremental to radical.
- Oversee all broad messaging across Research, distilling complicated processes and messages to make them digestible and memorable.
- Advise individuals within Research on their approaches to internal communications, acting as a trusted expert who is able to both offer strategic advice and roll up your sleeves to give practical help.
- Review internal content and sites created by Researchers and Research Program Managers for style, tone and clarity.
Opening date: 23rd November, 2018
Closing date: 21st December, 2018
Competitive salary applies
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.