Research Engineer, Safety
Our research team at DeepMind focuses on Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and Neuroscience, including but not limited to deep neural models, reinforcement learning algorithms and biologically encouraged models with the overall goal of building powerful general-purpose learning algorithms.
Research Engineers work on a diverse and stimulating range of projects including: developing algorithms and prototype applications, providing software design and programming support to research projects, along with architecting and implementing software libraries.
We have built a passionate and engaging culture, combining academic and product-led environments, to provide an encouraging balance of structure and flexibility. Our approach encourages collaboration across all groups within the Research team, leading to ambitious creativity and the scope for creative research breakthroughs.
Conducting research into any transformative technology comes with the responsibility to build mechanisms for safe and reliable development and deployment at every step. Technical safety research at DeepMind investigates questions related to objective specification, robustness, interpretability, and trust in machine learning systems. Dedicated research in these areas is essential to the fulfilment of the long-term goal of DeepMind Research: to build safe and socially beneficial AI systems.
Research on technical AI safety draws on expertise in Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Statistics, and Foundations of Agent Models. Research Engineers work in close collaboration with researchers on the team as well as other research groups to prototype and develop new technical approaches for designing intelligent systems that reliably function as intended.
- Provide software design and programming support to research projects within the AI Safety team
- Report and present software developments including status and results clearly and deftly both internally and externally, verbally and in writing
- Architect and implement software libraries
- Implement and evaluate algorithms
- BSc/BEng degree in computer science, mathematics, physics, electrical engineering, machine learning or equivalent (MSc/MEng preferable)
- Strong knowledge and experience of Python
- Knowledge of machine learning and/or statistics
- Strong knowledge of algorithm design
- Working knowledge of Tensorflow or similar frameworks
- Experience with multi-threaded design and parallel/distributed computing
- Experience with implementing numerical methods and data visualisation
- A real passion for AI and interest in AI safety research
- Contributions to open source projects
Competitive salary applies
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.