DeepMind's mission is to solve intelligence and use it to make the world a better place.
In the medium term, this means a lot of iterative blue-sky scientific research. Today, we have hundreds of researchers on staff, including numerous leaders in fields across AI & Machine Learning.
The Research Platform team's objective is "Effortless AGI Research" (AGI = artificial general intelligence). We are a core group of 45 Software Engineers within DeepMind Research, who work to provide a best-in-class research workflow & build tools, infrastructure, libraries, frameworks, services, and platforms to unblock the next generation of research ideas. We are also responsible for managing DeepMind's massive compute pool.
Research Platform plays a critical role in the mission of DM in multiple ways. In the simplest form, improving the workflow has a super-linear impact on researcher productivity, as not only does it free up more time - but the extra cognitive space can allow new research ideas to flourish that would otherwise never happen.
We also pursue more ambitious and potentially transformative efforts, some non-exhaustive examples:
- Novel frameworks and ML systems may open up new research areas (e.g. new computational model may allow rethinking the way we do evolution completely).
- Research automation may uncover insights we would otherwise miss - through ablation testing, and permuting and exploring all ideas and against all problem spaces - rather than researchers manually ad-hoc searching these spaces.
- ML Research is notoriously hard to reproduce from the published work, or even from source code. There are many ideas to address this problem, which could accelerate the transfer of research ideas from one domain/team/person to another.
You will manage a growing team of engineers focused on topics such as Performance, Global Storage, Tensorflow, Compilers, Distributed Frameworks, IDEs, and Visualization.
- In collaboration with your team & others - build, communicate, and maintain a strategy for your team to have impact towards Research Platform's objectives and DeepMind's mission.
- Coach & empower team members to do their best work, develop their careers, and reach their fullest potential.
- Foster a healthy, positive, and constructive work environment - within your team, Research Platform, and across collaborators.
- Communicate and collaborate with related efforts/teams across Google/Alphabet (e.g. maybe Borg, TensorFlow, Python, Colab teams).
- Manage hiring for your team and contribute to the hiring effort across Research Platform.
- Contribute to overall "Effortless AGI Research" strategy at DeepMind.
Some technologies we work with (experience not required):
- C++, Python, Java
- Bigtable, Spanner, Capacitor
- API / Library / Language design
- User-facing stubby service design & productionization
- Distributed Systems (à la Flume, Plaque)
- TensorFlow, XLA, CUDA, GPUs & TPUs
- Compilers, low-level performance optimization
Required skills (set categories):
- Experience in managing software engineering teams, and a passion for being a great people-manager.
- Previous experience in a hands-on engineering role
- An interest in DeepMind's mission and AI / Machine Learning.
- Proven experience in developing team members skills and abilities in order to thrive
- Coaching others
- Experience hiring for high performing engineering teams
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.