Role: Engineering Manager
Location: Mountain View, California
Salary: Competitive salary applies
DeepMind - Applied
DeepMind’s Applied Group focuses on using the best available technologies, together with our own research, to address some of the world’s most pressing and complex challenges. We work in fields from healthcare to energy efficiency, collaborating with experts to build tools to support and improve their work. Collaborating with Google teams, we also apply our cutting edge research to products used by millions of people around the world. These real world applications of AI technology help us work towards one of DeepMind’s purposes - to use intelligence to make the world a better place.
At DeepMind Health, we’re building the next generation of clinical software. Our flagship mobile application, Streams, is already used in hospitals where it’s helping clinicians provide care to their patients now, while also laying the framework to apply DeepMind’s AI research in future.
- You’re an experienced engineer and have decided you get as much or more satisfaction from helping people grow as from shipping products. You’ve shipped backend systems or client applications but recently you’ve been actively focused on managing your team(s).
- You’re uncomfortably excited about the mounting impact of technology on society, and its ability to solve significant social issues. You’re committed to being part of those difficult changes.
- You believe career development is a process of identifying and building skills, rather than promotion through some arbitrary system.
- You recognize that your responsibility towards your reports comes first, but continue to scratch your latent technical itch by writing Python scripts that join an iCal feed with JIRA's API and Git commit logs to accurately pre-order the champagne (or find other interesting ways to benefit your team while staying hands-on technical).
- You’re thrilled to be a part of a multidisciplinary team, working hand-in-hand with our Front-End, Product, Test, DevOps, and Design teams to understand the problems our users are asking us to solve, and with our Clinicians to understand the real world impact of the tradeoffs product design inherently entails.
- You’re comfortable working with a neighbouring team who colour and flavour their dialogue with unexpected u’s and s’s, but recognise and don’t take offense at others who don’t..
We’re a close-knit family of product & project managers, designers, user researchers, CS researchers, engineers and clinicians. We’ve all made significant personal commitments to our health work, and are committed to working together for the long term. We aim for psychological safety, dependability, empowerment, diversity & inclusion. Some of us are fresh out of university, others helped design the protocol that served you this very page.
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.