Role: Engineering Manager
Location: Mountain View, California
Salary: Competitive salary applies
Over the past three years we’ve built a specialist team who know what it takes to deploy clinical tools in practice - engineers, clinicians, translational researchers and more. In that time, we’ve also made major advances in healthcare AI research: detecting eye disease more quickly and accurately than experts; planning cancer radiotherapy treatment in seconds rather than hours; and working to detect patient deterioration from electronic records.
Our vision is for Streams to now become an AI-powered assistant for nurses and doctors everywhere - combining the best algorithms with intuitive design, all backed up by rigorous evidence. The team working within Google, alongside brilliant colleagues from across the organisation, will help make this vision a reality.
We are looking for a highly talented and driven individuals who want to be part of an exceptional team, work in an inspiring and collaborative environment, and join a company focused on ground-breaking technology with potentially extraordinary impact.
- You’re an experienced engineer and have decided you get as much or more satisfaction from helping people grow as from shipping products. You’ve shipped backend systems or client applications but recently you’ve been actively focused on managing your team(s).
- You’re uncomfortably excited about the mounting impact of technology on society, and its ability to solve significant social issues. You’re committed to being part of those difficult changes.
- You believe career development is a process of identifying and building skills, rather than promotion through some arbitrary system.
- You recognize that your responsibility towards your reports comes first, but continue to scratch your latent technical itch by writing Python scripts that join an iCal feed with JIRA's API and Git commit logs to accurately pre-order the champagne (or find other interesting ways to benefit your team while staying hands-on technical).
- You’re thrilled to be a part of a multidisciplinary team, working hand-in-hand with our Front-End, Product, Test, DevOps, and Design teams to understand the problems our users are asking us to solve, and with our Clinicians to understand the real world impact of the tradeoffs product design inherently entails.
- You’re comfortable working with a neighbouring team who colour and flavour their dialogue with unexpected u’s and s’s, but recognise and don’t take offense at others who don’t..
We’re a close-knit family of product & project managers, designers, user researchers, CS researchers, engineers and clinicians. We’ve all made significant personal commitments to our health work, and are committed to working together for the long term. We aim for psychological safety, dependability, empowerment, diversity & inclusion. Some of us are fresh out of university, others helped design the protocol that served you this very page.
We welcome applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.