DeepMind is the world leader in artificial intelligence research and its application for positive impact. We’re on a scientific mission to push the boundaries of AI, developing programs that can learn to solve any complex problem without needing to be taught how.
If we’re successful, we believe this will be one of the most important and widely beneficial scientific advances ever made, increasing our capacity to understand the mysteries of the universe and to tackle some of our most pressing real-world challenges, from climate change to radically improved healthcare.
At DeepMind we have a myriad of teams such as Robotics, Science, Fundamental Research and the Research Platform Team who will all be welcoming Interns in 2019 for durations of 14 - 20 consecutive weeks.
As a Research Engineering intern at DeepMind, you will use your software engineering skills to advance our pioneering AI research programme in collaboration with other members of the research team.
Our research presents a large range of interesting and unique engineering challenges:
- Innovating in the organisation of large-scale distributed machine learning systems.
- Taking research advances in optimisation or learning algorithms and making them easy to use for all our research groups.
- Working out how to make best use of high-performance computing platforms such as GPUs and TPUs.
- Implementing innovative reinforcement learning agent architectures and learning algorithms.
- Designing and implementing environments and challenges for our agents, or making third-party or real-world environments available for research use.
- Measuring agent performance and analysing agent behaviour on a variety of tasks.
Engineering intern projects may involve working as part of a research team focused on a single research problem, or as part of a team building tools and platforms used across a number of our research efforts. Whatever project you work on, you will be part of a diverse and interdisciplinary team of highly talented people.
We welcome applications from people currently studying for a degree of any level (Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate) in a technical subject (computer science, engineering, maths, physics, etc.) who have some software engineering experience. No prior experience of AI or machine learning is necessary.
** Applications are open from 4 - 18th February 2019. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept any applications made after the 18th February. **
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.