DeepMind - Applied
Our Applied group works with teams at DeepMind and Google to bring the best available technologies to address some of the world’s most pressing and complex challenges. We work in fields from healthcare to energy efficiency to Google products used by millions around the world, collaborating with experts on research and tools to support and improve their work.
In healthcare, we work on a wide range of projects from our flagship mobile application Streams, through to groundbreaking machine learning research.
We’ve already made a number of high profile breakthroughs in AI, and following our acquisition by Google in 2014 have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years. This combination of applied research & real world products, help us work towards the safe & ethical deployment of AI technologies, in order to make the world a better place.
We’re a close-knit family of product & program managers, designers, user researchers, computer scientists, academic researchers, engineers and clinicians. We’ve all made significant commitments to our health work, and are committed to working together for the long term. We aim for psychological safety, dependability, empowerment, diversity & inclusion. Some of us are fresh out of university, while others helped design the protocol that served you this very page.
You’ll be the go-to person on a broad area, ironing out ambiguity to help others be more productive. You anticipate the needs of your managers and team members and help them stay focused on their projects by resolving operational and administrative issues before they arise. You have excellent listening and communication skills and you help to establish and maintain the working culture, encouraging positivity. You’ll adapt to the needs of the organisation to aid project delivery and continually look for ways to optimise the working environment.
The role has 2 core strands - people and program delivery.
- Understand individuals, their preferences, strengths, weaknesses
- You'll work with cross-functional team members, supporting with everything and anything!
- Help embed New Starters and support them on their learning journey
- Facilitate opportunities for collaboration and create relevant connections
- Proactively look for problems and issues and solve / remove them
- Work with your colleagues to coordinate team events
- Provide proactive support to the lead Program Manager
- Perform ad hoc tasks to support the team such as: booking team meetings, tracking meeting actions and coordinating visitors
- Facilitate conversation to help to define milestones, schedules, priorities and communication of status updates to stakeholders
- Maintain up-to-date program data, track issues and provide stakeholders with timely reports and other information derived from program data
- Contribute to continued organisational development by adapting to the needs of your team
- You see what needs to be done and make it happen
- You are a team player, displaying enthusiasm and strong communication skills needed to collaborate with a diverse range of people, across a variety of different job functions.
- You can recognise when to exercise discretion and independent judgement and when to escalate issues
- Optimism is critical - we are tackling some of the hardest challenges ever faced
- Flexible and highly responsive to the needs of the project, team and wider group
- Highly organised with the ability to juggle multiple priorities and switch context very quickly
- Proven experience in proactively coordinating individuals and teams for maximum productivity
- Basic understanding of project management theory, process and practices
- Experience working in a constantly creative, changing and dynamic environment
- Expert knowledge of using standard office tools including spreadsheets
- You’re self-aware, open to trying new ways of working and receiving feedback on how to get better
- You’re willing to proactively build knowledge and expertise
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity
regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.