Role: UX Researcher, Streams
DeepMind - Applied
Our Applied group works with teams at DeepMind and Google to bring the best available technologies to address some of the world’s most pressing and complex challenges. We work in fields from healthcare to energy efficiency to Google products used by millions around the world, collaborating with experts on research and tools to support and improve their work.
In healthcare, we work on a wide range of projects from groundbreaking machine learning research through to our flagship mobile application Streams. This next generation of clinical software is already being used in hospitals where it’s helping clinicians provide care to their patients now, while also laying the framework to apply DeepMind’s AI research in future.
We’ve already made a number of high profile breakthroughs in AI, and following our acquisition by Google in 2014 have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years. This combination of applied research & real world products, help us work towards the safe & ethical deployment of AI technologies, in order to make the world a better place.
We’re a close-knit family of product & project managers, designers, user researchers, computer scientists, academic researchers, engineers and clinicians. We’ve all made significant commitments to our health work, and are committed to working together for the long term. We aim for psychological safety, dependability, empowerment, diversity & inclusion. Some of us are fresh out of university, while others helped design the protocol that served you this very page.
At DeepMind Health we ground ourselves in the complexities of the healthcare space today, with the intention of supporting transformation for the near and long term. Within DeepMind Health we work in cross-disciplinary teams to deliver value early and often to clinicians. We also have a community of designers and user researchers who collectively share methods, advice and experience. We are looking for a highly talented and driven individual who wants to be part of an exceptional team, work in an inspiring and collaborative environment, and join a company focused on ground-breaking technology with potentially extraordinary impact.
As a UX Researcher in DeepMind Health, you are an advocate for user centred processes. You are a champion of user centred methods.
You are motivated by forging a deep knowledge of our users and representing their needs within the product development cycle. You will be focussed on testing prototypes or product builds to ensure the successful delivery of incremental features for use by doctors and nurses at partner hospitals. Internally you will report to our User Experience Research Lead, and work closely with our designers, engineers, clinicians, product managers, as part of our cross disciplinary feature teams.
You will be helping to plan and facilitate usability testing and deliver actionable insights to our cross functional team. You enjoy working in a fast-paced delivery environment and collaborating closely with a cross-functional team.
Responsibilities of role in DeepMind Health are to:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams across DeepMind Health to develop functional, intuitive products.
- Forge a deep understanding of users by leveraging expertise in a range of methods, from generative to summative, with a focus on iterative testing methods.
- Execute research studies end to end: scope, plan, liaise with 3rd parties to co-ordinate recruitment, facilitate, synthesize and action next steps for product development.
- Liaise with internal and external research support organisations to recruit candidates for studies.
- Work with UX designers to identify appropriate research methods for projects and help set up and run projects.
- Oversee the running and delivery of product research across a feature delivery team.
- Manage evaluative programs for in-situ hospital research.
- Create research reports, and craft research narratives, turn findings into presentations where needed.
- Update research artefacts, documentation and storing research appropriately.
- Manage our user research participant tracker for ongoing studies.
- Excellent note-taking, documentation and organisational skills.
- Experience in carrying out user research in digital product development
- Demonstrable experience in basic to intermediate proficiency with primary research methods and tools (e.g., running lab studies, conducting user interviews, synthesizing past research, managing datasets, carrying out usability testing)
- A solid understanding of user-centered product development, research methods, user data analysis, and UX principles
- Good communication and presentation skills to translate insights into actionable design and engineering recommendations
- Familiarity/expertise in native mobile platforms and web
- Rigorous research practice and demonstrable influence over a project, a program or product decisions establishing, contributing to or maintaining excellent products
- Producing and communicating actionable research insights that clearly specify implications for the project, program or product
- Ability to work with minimal supervision within direct team on research of moderate to well-defined scope. Can prioritize and balance your own work.
- Proactive working style
- Experience in scoping, planning, recruiting and running research sessions
- Experience within human factors, usability engineering or medical software would be an advantage
- Strong appetite for learning
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to act with confidence in a high performance culture
- Ability to travel across the US and UK for project related work
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.