Role: Associate Clinical Safety Officer - DeepMind Health
Location: London, United Kingdom
Salary: Competitive salary applies
DeepMind - Applied
Our Applied group works with teams at DeepMind and Google to bring the best available technologies to address some of the world’s most pressing and complex challenges. We work in fields from healthcare to energy efficiency to Google products used by millions around the world, collaborating with experts on research and tools to support and improve their work.
In healthcare, we work on a wide range of projects from groundbreaking machine learning research through to our flagship mobile application Streams. This next generation of clinical software is already being used in hospitals where it’s helping clinicians provide care to their patients now, while also laying the framework to apply DeepMind’s AI research in future.
We’ve already made a number of high profile breakthroughs in AI, and following our acquisition by Google in 2014 have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years. This combination of applied research & real world products help us work towards the safe & ethical deployment of AI technologies, in order to make the world a better place.
We’re a close-knit family of product & project managers, designers, user researchers, computer scientists, academic researchers, engineers and clinicians. We’ve all made significant commitments to our health work, and are committed to working together for the long term. We aim for psychological safety, dependability, empowerment, diversity & inclusion. Some of us are fresh out of university, while others helped design the protocol that served you this very page.
This role will support Google DeepMind in the successful implementation and maintenance of a Clinical Safety Management system (CSMS), ensuring compliance with DCB0129 and the Medical Device Directive where necessary. Within this role, recognition of external good practice and international standards are essential as is establishing the CSMS to support the creation of the necessary processes and documentation, illustrating compliance. Reporting to the Senior Clinical Safety Officer, the CSO will ensure that every product and associated service considered ‘in scope’, becomes and remains fully compliant with the internal standards and policy and external regulations; and will be expected to work closely with parts of the organisation that are critical in the success of embedding a clinical safety culture.
- Conducting clinical risk assessment for DMH products
- Creating and maintaining key safety documentation, including:
- Risk Management Plan
- Hazard Log
- Safety Case
- Safety Case Report(s) (Phase Reports, Closure Report)
- Ensuring all affected standard operating procedures and business processes are updated to incorporate relevant clinical risk procedures and activities
- Leading the investigation and resolution of safety incidents
- Conducting root cause analysis of safety incidents in line with best practice, ensuring necessary actions are taken and outcomes communicated to relevant parties
- Providing training to raise staff awareness and guidance on clinical safety best practice
- Providing safety input into design, development and test activities for DMH products
- Engaging with other clinicians to ensure the safe design and implementation of products
- Supporting CSOs from partner organisations in their efforts towards compliance with DCB0160
- Assisting external audits, and follow through of resulting actions
- Providing clinical safety cover for both in office hours and out of hours on a rota basis
- Preparing reports at regular intervals for safety workstream
- Maintaining clinical registration and competence sufficient to discharge the clinical safety role
- Extensive clinical domain experience
- Strong knowledge of clinical safety risk management and risk assessment techniques
- Strong knowledge of process improvement and implementation techniques
- Experienced in DCB0129
- Report writing and analytical skills
- Proven clinical stakeholder engagement, negotiation and influencing skills
- Strong communication skills able to deliver a message to people at all levels of the business
- Educated to degree level
- Clinical qualification (nurse, doctor, dentist, pharmacist, physiotherapist etc)
- Current registration with a relevant professional body
- Attended Clinical Safety training at NHS Digital
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good commercial awareness and understanding of operational business practices
- Excellent domain knowledge: clinical practice and workflows, clinical term and coding classifications, evidence bases and clinical decision support, drivers for clinical adoption of IT solutions
- Demonstrates sound judgement and the ability to make decisions proactively
- Working knowledge of G Suite applications
- Documenting business processes and training materials
- Experience as CSO within clinical software development and delivery industry
- Familiar with medical device regulations
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.