DeepMind is seeking highly talented and driven Research Scientists to work in the areas of Machine Learning (ML) fairness and bias. Fairness and bias are increasingly important areas of machine learning research, overlapping with more established areas such as privacy, robustness, domain adaptation, and causality. Alongside important work in social science, philosophy and other disciplines, there are many technical challenges related to bias that remain largely unexplored. While the ultimate design of solutions will depend upon interdisciplinary effort, theoretical and practical advances will require the use of tools ranging from probabilistic and causal reasoning to optimization and approximate inference.
- Conduct theoretical research into fairness and bias, and develop algorithmic solutions to open fundamental questions.
- Collaborate with Research Scientists from DeepMind Ethics and Society who conduct research from a range of viewpoints including social and political science, philosophy, economics, psychology and the humanities.
- Collaborate with research teams within and outside of DeepMind to ensure that AI capabilities research is informed by the latest research on ML fairness and bias.
- Publish and present research findings and developments to the major ML venues (NIPS, ICML, etc.), as well as to internal and external collaborators with effective written and verbal communication.
- PhD in machine learning, statistics, computer science, mathematics, or related subjects
- Demonstrable background in probabilistic or causal inference, and good programming skills
- Knowledge in any of the following areas: machine learning, ML fairness and bias, privacy, robustness, domain adaptation, reinforcement learning
- Expertise in stochastic and/or deterministic approximate inference methods, such as e.g. variational inference and MCMC methods, and in temporal modelling
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
The team are also looking for PhD Interns for 2019. If you would like to apply you can do so using the following link: https://deepmind.com/careers/1184837
Roles for Research Scientists from fields such as political science, sociology, philosophy, economics, psychology, and the humanities who also want to work on important areas such as fairness and bias can be found here: https://deepmind.com/careers/967505