Over the coming years and decades, artificial intelligence research may turn out to be one of the most fascinating scientific journeys ever undertaken. Our Public Engagement & Communications team is seeking a talented writer to help tell that story as it unfolds. We believe that conducting cutting-edge research in AI capabilities should be accompanied by clear communication that brings the research to life and connects it to a broader audience.
We are seeking a gifted storyteller who is excited by the prospect of deep immersion in technical content -- reading publications, engaging with researchers, asking questions, attending events, and constantly learning -- with the primary objective of telling the story of the research in the language of the listener, crafting accessible narratives for the diverse range of audiences that engage with our work.
- Create content for a variety of media, ranging from blog posts and videos to events and presentations
- Keep up-to-date on key research developments and learning core concepts in a rapidly advancing scientific field
- Advise on research content for outlets such as the DeepMind website, speeches, media/PR, newsletters, and social platforms
- Find ways to distill a growing volume of research into clear narratives for audiences with varying levels of technical understanding, from the AI research community to a more general public audience
- Thrives at the intersection of creative and analytical thinking
- Team player with an ability to work across many teams to achieve a shared objective under deadline pressure
- Strong intuitions for visual and experiential storytelling
- Ability to engage with subject-matter experts to help them craft clear stories
- Excellent communicator with strong technical foundations or willingness to learn
- Demonstrated ability to delve into technical content, regardless of academic background
- Conversational fluency in machine learning concepts (e.g. deep reinforcement learning, loss functions, overfitting/underfitting, training/testing, gradient descent, and the like)
- Prior exposure to basic concepts in linear algebra, calculus, probability/statistics, and programming
- Familiarity with topics in related fields (e.g. computer science, machine learning, neuroscience, logic, philosophy, ethics)
- Past experience writing about artificial intelligence or another technical field
- Intuitions about media, marketing, branding, and content distribution
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Opening date: 30th October 2018
Closing date: 28th November 2018
Competitive salary applies