Role: Associate Commercial Counsel
Location: Mountain View
Salary: Competitive salary applies
DeepMind - Applied
DeepMind’s Applied Group focuses on using the best available technologies, together with our own research, to address some of the world’s most pressing and complex challenges. We work in various fields from healthcare to energy efficiency, collaborating with experts to build tools to support and improve their work. Working with Google teams, we also apply our cutting edge research to products used by millions of people around the world. These real world applications of AI technology help us work towards one of DeepMind’s purposes - to use intelligence to make the world a better place.
At Deepmind Legal, you will work on the exciting legal issues at the intersection of artificial intelligence and law. Disruptive technological innovations require creative and proactive legal guidance. In this team, you have to becollaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of the company as well as working with other entities from the Alphabet group. As an integrated part of the team, you will proactively assess legal risks and advise on projects that will have a transformative effect on society.
The DeepMind Legal team is looking for an adept commercial counsel with experience dealing with the complex issues raised by cutting-edge healthcare technology. You will be responsible for supporting the DeepMind Health team for a mixed portfolio of work. You will work closely with researchers, product managers, engineers, and other cross-functional teams dedicated to using data and advanced AI technologies to help advance human health. To advise them effectively, you will need excellent judgment on commercial and regulatory matters, while also utilizing your experience in the healthcare field.
- Review, draft and negotiate commercial agreements with business partners, including clinical deployment, licensing, and intellectual property agreements.
- Manage agreements that comply with company policies, risk tolerance and local law.
- Advise business clients, as well as finance and other cross-functional stakeholders on the legal issues and risks, approval processes, company policies and procedures, and IP and business strategy.
- Respond promptly to legal requests from business clients and other stakeholders, summarizing and communicating legal concepts that business people can use.
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes.
- JD degree.
- Active and in good standing in one State Bar in the United States.
- 5+ years of related experience, including tech transactions.
- Experience in health transactional work.
- Relevant legal experience in a law firm with a nationally recognized FDA, Life Sciences, or Health Care practice, or in-house legal department of a life sciences or health care company.
- Demonstrated experience providing legal support for life sciences transactions, and advising science and engineering teams on structuring IP and commercial deal terms.
- Experience in one or more of the following: FDA regulation of medical device and/or biopharmaceutical products, HIPAA and the HITECH Act, the laws and regulations that govern clinical research, and life sciences transactions that require counseling clients about these topics.
- Ability to be flexible in a fast paced environment with limited direction, balance competing priorities, and manage several time-sensitive projects at once.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage high volume of requests, and an eagerness to take on cutting-edge legal issues in the life sciences, and to learn.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and experience collaborating with cross-functional teams.
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.