Role: Product Counsel
Salary: Competitive salary applies
DeepMind - Applied
Our Applied group works with teams at DeepMind and Google to bring the best available technologies to address some of the world’s most pressing and complex challenges. We work in fields from healthcare to energy efficiency to Google products used by millions around the world, collaborating with experts on research and tools to support and improve their work.
In healthcare, we work on a wide range of projects from groundbreaking machine learning research through to our flagship mobile application Streams. This next generation of clinical software is already being used in hospitals where it’s helping clinicians provide care to their patients now, while also laying the framework to apply DeepMind’s AI research in future.
We’ve already made a number of high profile breakthroughs in AI, and following our acquisition by Google in 2014 have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years. This combination of applied research & real world products, help us work towards the safe & ethical deployment of AI technologies, in order to make the world a better place.
We’re a close-knit family of product & project managers, designers, user researchers, computer scientists, academic researchers, engineers and clinicians. We’ve all made significant commitments to our health work, and are committed to working together for the long term. We aim for psychological safety, dependability, empowerment, diversity & inclusion. Some of us are fresh out of university, while others helped design the protocol that served you this very page.
At Deepmind Legal, you will work on the exciting legal issues at the intersection of artificial intelligence and law. Disruptive technological innovations require creative and proactive legal guidance. In the team, you have to be collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of the company as well as working with other entities from the Alphabet group. As an integrated part of the team, you will proactively assess legal risks and advise on products that will have a transformative effect on society.
The DeepMind Legal team is looking for an adept product counsel with experience dealing with the complex issues raised by cutting-edge healthcare technology. You will be responsible for advising on all product-related legal issues that arise from the development of innovative health technologies, such as DeepMind’s Streams application. You will work closely with researchers, product managers, engineers, and other cross-functional teams dedicated to the same task. To advise them effectively, you will need excellent judgment on privacy, commercial, and regulatory matters, while also utilising your experience in the healthcare field.
- Provide advice, legal direction, and training on UK/EU laws and regulations related to the development and commercialisation of health technologies, including privacy, product liability, fraud and abuse, and healthcare regulatory requirements (such as CE marking, medical device regulations, competition, and labelling and promotional matters).
- Work closely with information governance and clinical safety teams to advise on deployment of healthcare technologies into hospitals and other healthcare organisations.
- Review, draft and manage contracts with partners and suppliers relating to the provision of healthcare technologies.
- Manage agreements that comply with company policies, risk tolerance and local law.
- Develop and maintain legal resources that are required for health technology applications, such as terms of service, privacy notices and other disclosures.
- BA/BS/LLB degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Qualified solicitor, with 7+ years post qualified experience in private practice and/or an in-house team.
- Experience in healthcare, data protection, privacy and intellectual property law.
- Experience in negotiating, drafting and advising clients on technology-related commercial agreements, including multi-jurisdictional transactions.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and experience collaborating with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to set goals and be self-directed on optimal outcomes, balance competing priorities, and set legal objectives to further the goals and mission of DeepMind.
- Experience in one or more of the following: UK and EU regulation of medical devices (preferably software as a medical device) and associated MHRA and MEDDEV guidance, NHS contracting and information governance requirements, GDPR and the laws and regulations that govern clinical research, and life sciences transactions that require counselling clients about these topics.
- Relevant legal experience in a law firm with a nationally recognized MHRA, Life Sciences, or Health Care practice, or in-house legal department of a life sciences or health care company.
- Demonstrated experience providing legal support for deployment of medical devices, life sciences transactions, or advising science and engineering teams on structuring IP and commercial deal terms.
- Proven interest or experience in the field of artificial intelligence research or deployment of machine learning technologies.
Opening date: August 15th, 2018
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.