Role: Software Engineer
Salary: Competitive salary applies
DeepMind - Applied
DeepMind’s Applied Group focuses on using the best available technologies, together with our own research, to address some of the world’s most pressing and complex challenges. We work in fields from healthcare to energy efficiency, collaborating with experts to build tools to support and improve their work. Collaborating with Google teams, we also apply our cutting edge research to products used by millions of people around the world. These real world applications of AI technology help us work towards one of DeepMind’s purposes - to use intelligence to make the world a better place.
This is a new team within our Transparency and Security division and you will be a founding member. The team’s objective is to identify, influence and build components for an open source infrastructure for secure storage, processing and exchange of data. We focus on encrypted enclaves and remote attestations to verify core properties of the system. The infrastructure will facilitate a wide range of existing services and use cases at large scale.
Work with the project lead and team to define the components of this project. Lead the technical development of components that don’t exist, and the testing and adoption of those that do.
This project is entirely open source, and is based on human centred design. This means the successful candidate will be comfortable with the idea of a design process that is led by user interface and experience rather than primarily engineering considerations.
- Stay abreast of and get involved in relevant academic research
- Participate in conferences and workshops where these advance the project agenda
- Influence hardware and software vendors to align with our requirements
- Guide and mentor more junior team members
- Keep in mind the needs of end users and application developers as well as those of the team
- Good understanding of the correct use of cryptography (you do not, however, need to be a cryptographer)
- Familiarity with formal methods
- Operating system/hypervisor experience
- Understanding of enclaves (SGX and related ideas)
- Thinks object capabilities are a good idea
- Experience of producing and maintaining open source software
- An understanding of the underpinnings of program languages, frameworks and APIs
- Familiarity with one or more of the following programming languages: Go, Python, Java or C++
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.