Role: Technical Writer - DeepMind Health
Location: London, United Kingdom
Salary: Competitive salary applies
DeepMind - Applied
Our Applied group works with teams at DeepMind and Google to bring the best available technologies to address some of the world’s most pressing and complex challenges. We work in fields from healthcare to energy efficiency to Google products used by millions around the world, collaborating with experts on research and tools to support and improve their work.
In healthcare, we work on a wide range of projects from groundbreaking machine learning research through to our flagship mobile application Streams. This next generation of clinical software is already being used in hospitals where it’s helping clinicians provide care to their patients now, while also laying the framework to apply DeepMind’s AI research in future.
We’ve already made a number of high profile breakthroughs in AI, and following our acquisition by Google in 2014 have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years. This combination of applied research & real world products, help us work towards the safe & ethical deployment of AI technologies, in order to make the world a better place.
We’re a close-knit family of product & project managers, designers, user researchers, computer scientists, academic researchers, engineers and clinicians. We’ve all made significant commitments to our health work, and are committed to working together for the long term. We aim for psychological safety, dependability, empowerment, diversity & inclusion. Some of us are fresh out of university, while others helped design the protocol that served you this very page.
As a Technical Writer supporting DeepMind Health’s product team, you should expect to work with a degree of flexibility and adaptability as we continually grow and evolve our business. You’ll be given a lot of responsibility so it’s essential you are super organised, switched on and able to prioritise work that needs doing. Your main objective is to ensure that the relevant externally facing product documentation and media is produced in a timely manner and to a very high quality through establishment of a standards framework for external documentation.
Our products are being designed to be both intuitive and innovative and our externally facing documentation and media needs to reflect those ambitions by being as clear, concise, consistent, and comprehensive as possible. Technical writers need to be able to both source and verify information from across different teams and roles in DeepMind Health. To do this effectively they need to be good team players and communicators.
- Create and maintain a quality standards framework for externally facing product documentation and media for users and partners
- Work within the product life cycle and required outputs for product documentation and collateral for our products including but not limited to: Product descriptions, user guides and support documentation and release notes
- Adapt and continually improve externally facing documentation and collateral based on feedback or changes in regulatory standards
- Work within relevant legal, information governance and safety guidance and regulatory standards for customer documentation
- Ensure that appropriate language and terminology suitable for the Health industry are used and understood
- Work with cross-functional teams to ensure that the finished documentation appropriately describes the functionality, design intention, clinical usage and any relevant technical aspects
- Develop a thorough understanding of the audience and the documentation required Research and build knowledge about products, services, technology, or concepts to be documented
- Determine the clearest and most logical way to present information and instructions for greatest reader comprehension and write and edit technical information accordingly
- Prepare or commission graphics and illustrations to elaborate on or complement technical writing
- Work within appropriate branding guidelines in DeepMind Health
- Meet with subject matter experts in order to ensure that specialised topics are appropriately described
- Work with cross-functional teams to ensure that the finished documentation appropriately describes the functionality
- Work with the design team to provide copy as and when it is needed
- Revise, edit, or update instructions, technical information, and other relevant product related documentation as necessary
- Have a Bachelor's Degree in English, Communications, or Information Technology, with 5+ years experience of writing documentation
- Specialised in technical writing for one or more specific industries, ideally with a business to business focus
- Previous experience in technical writing for software products would be highly desirable
- Experience working in a constantly creative, changing and dynamic environment
- Have the ability to rapidly understand concepts and can communicate concepts clearly in the appropriate language of the audience
- Highly organised with the ability to juggle multiple priorities and work under pressure
- A team player capable of effectively facilitating and collaborating with a diverse range of people across a variety of different job functions
- Enthusiasm and strong communication skills needed to interact with a variety of people and job functions
- Flexible and highly responsive to the needs of the project, team and wider group
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.