Role: Database Administrator
DeepMind - Applied
DeepMind’s Applied Group focuses on using the best technologies, together with our own research, to address some of the world’s most pressing and complex challenges. We work in fields from healthcare to energy efficiency, collaborating with experts to build tools to support and improve their work. Collaborating with Google teams, we also apply our cutting edge research to products used by millions of people around the world. These real world applications help us work towards one of DeepMind’s purposes - to use intelligence to make the world a better place.
This is an opportunity to join a phenomenal team of people in a complex, mission-driven company. DeepMind continues to grow, and is now seeking a Database Administrator to join our team. To do well in this role you need an eye for detail, and experience with data analysis tools on relational databases.
We are looking for a Database Administrator who shares our passionate and long-term commitment to making a positive impact on patient outcomes.
Healthcare systems do an amazing job under enormous pressure. Most people get truly world-class care, but every day patients suffer avoidable life-changing conditions and even die because they don’t get the right treatment in time. Nurses and doctors simply don’t have the tools to instantly analyse each test result, determine the right treatment, and make sure that every patient who needs complex or urgent care is escalated to the right specialist immediately.
As part of the DeepMind Applied team, you will be part of a team who are responsible for having a social impact through the development of a product that focuses on saving lives.
- Create tooling to automate Installation/patching of MySQL Server instances for development, testing and production
- Backup, recovery and replication
- Manage/monitor Uptime/performance and alert in case of anomalies
- Overseeing upgrades to application databases for new releases
- Develop storage and capacity planning
- Technical support to application development teams
- Impact analysis of changes
- Create performance indicators to locate and correct problems
- Locate and define new process improvement opportunities
- Strong proficiency in MySQL database management
- Experience with replication configuration in MySQL
- Hands on experience in setting up high availability databases, including failover, load balancing and upgrades to MySQL and application tables with zero downtime
- Knowledge of de-facto standards and best practices in MySQL
- Experience in configuring or writing tooling to automate setup or copying of databases and related software for development and production environments
- Adept at performance monitoring and tuning of SQL queries on MySQL
- Understanding of MySQL’s underlying storage engines, such as InnoDB and MyISAM
- Knowledge of MySQL features, such as its event scheduler
- Knowledge of limitations in MySQL and their workarounds in contrast to other popular relational databases
- Experience of deploying databases on Cloud
- Familiarity with other SQL/NoSQL databases such as PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, Spanner
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.