This is an exciting opportunity to join a world class team in a mission driven company. We’re looking for someone with production and/or project management experience helping games or engineering teams be more productive. You will provide dedicated support to DeepMind's Worlds Team who create game like environments to test and train AI agents; thereby enabling, supporting and accelerating DeepMind’s research mission.
As a Program Manager, you'll help to solve problems and define solutions. You'll do this by switching on your listening skills to anticipate other people's needs and resolve operational issues before they arise. To support our growth, you'll adapt to the needs of the organisation and continually look for ways to optimise research and the program management function itself.
At DeepMind we've created a unique environment for long-term ambitious research to flourish in. Our world-class interdisciplinary team combines the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning and systems neuroscience to build powerful general-purpose learning algorithms.
We are making significant progress and have made a number of high profile breakthroughs. a Our business has a start-up entrepreneurial culture but operates within a large, high profile global company - so you will need to be flexible and ready for anything.
About the team
As part of the Research Group, the Worlds Team provides DeepMind Researchers with the best training and testing environments possible, across a variety of platforms. These range from bespoke mini-games aimed at answering specific research questions, to expansive first-person games using modern 3D engines. The output from the Worlds Team is crucial in helping steer DeepMind’s research forward.
Projects we’ve worked on include AlphaGo, DM Lab, and DQN on Atari as well as contributions to countless publications. The team consists of 30+ developers from high profile engineering, games and VFX companies including: EA, Sony, Ubisoft, Facebook, Microsoft, Bullfrog, Elixir Studios, Lionhead, Criterion Games, Animal Logic, The Foundry and, of course, Google.
We are looking for a highly talented and driven individual who wants to be part of an exceptional team, work in an inspiring and collaborative environment, and join a company focused on ground-breaking technology with potentially extraordinary impact.
You'll join DeepMind's Program Management team and provide support to world-class team focused on accelerating DeepMind’s research mission.
The Program Manager role has two core strands - enabling people and program delivery. It's important you are not shy of rolling your sleeves up and getting stuck in - whatever the task - big or small. We do what needs to be done.
- Co-manage teams with the Leads to allow them to focus on research
- Manage performance and provide opportunities for people to grow
- Facilitate conversations and challenge the status quo
- Partner with Leads to manage headcount and hiring priorities
- Facilitate opportunities for collaboration and create relevant connections
- Support with recruitment for the team including assessing suitability
- Responsible for end-to-end lifecycle of project deliverables
- Provide feedback, ensuring the correct reuse of code/tools/platforms
- Fully understand the goals of the team and enable execution on top priority deliverables
- Maintain up-to-date research program data, track issues and provide stakeholders with timely reports
- Identify, define and lead projects to address issues and maximise opportunities
- Provide proactive support to the Lead Program Manager and put forward ideas for continuous improvement
- Established knowledge and expertise of project and programme management.
- Experience in a senior Games Production role ideal.
- Experience proactively coordinating individuals and teams for maximum productivity
- Initiative to solve problems with solutions that are repeatable, scalable and sustainable
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to act with confidence in a high performance culture
- You have an instinctive ability for managing highly intelligent people
- Super-organised with the ability to juggle multiple priorities and switch context very quickly
- Experience working in a fast paced, constantly changing and dynamic environment
- Flexible, adaptable and highly responsive to the needs of the project, team and wider group
- You seize opportunities to acquire new knowledge.
- Experience scripting or coding a plus
To accompany your application, please submit a covering letter, answering the following questions:
- Why are you interested in DeepMind?
- What interests you about the games DeepMind has created?
- Tell us about a time when you helped deliver a successful product to launch?
- What experience do you have to enable teams to be their best?
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Competitive salary applies.