Our robotics research team at DeepMind focuses on Machine Learning for robotics, including but not limited to deep reinforcement learning algorithms. The robotics lab collaborates with researchers in machine learning to develop powerful general-purpose learning algorithms for real-world robotics.
We’re looking for robotics engineers to work on the problem of learning real robotics tasks with data-driven machine learning methods. You should be passionate about the field of robotics and have experience relevant to this field, such as: modelling and planning for manipulation and whole-body motion, real-time motion control with online optimisation methods (e.g. QP, MPC, RL), perception for robotics (e.g. semantic segmentation, scene understanding), state estimation, etc. The work that we do presents interesting and unique engineering challenges and as a member of the Research Engineering team, you’ll contribute towards enhancing the performance of our research infrastructure and learning algorithms.
Please note DeepMind is based in London.
- Provide software design and programming support to research projects.
- Report and present software developments including status and results clearly.
- Architect and implement software libraries for robotics applications.
- Collaborate with other researchers to implement and evaluate algorithms.
- Design of robotics experiments and scientific evaluation of results.
- MEng/MSc/PhD degree in engineering, mathematics, physics, or equivalent.
- Strong knowledge and experience of Robotics in at least one of the following areas of expertise:
- Modelling, planning and control for hybrid dynamical systems (i.e. systems that exhibits both continuous and discrete dynamic behaviours) with application either to manipulation or locomotion.
- Reinforcement learning applied on simulated and real robots (with continuous action space and continuous state space).
- Sensor fusion for state estimation with different sensors: vision, depth sensors, inertial sensors, tactile sensors, proprioception, etc.
- Real-time control with on-line optimisation such as MPC (model predictive control) and QP (quadratic programming).
- Middleware and software development for robotics. Experience in real-time middleware for robotics will be positively evaluated.
- Robotics perception (object pose estimation and matching, scene segmentation and dense prediction, grasp detection and planning, end-to-end and self-supervised grasping, learning of depth and ego-motion). Experience on deep learning for perception will be positively evaluated.
- Good knowledge of either Python or C++.
- Knowledge of machine learning and/or statistics.
- Experience with ROS or comparable middleware.
- Working knowledge of Tensorflow or similar frameworks
- Experience with numerical methods and data visualisation.
- Contributions to open source and/or large-scale software projects.
- Experience with low-level embedded software and firmware.
- Experience with mechanical and electronic design.
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.