Role: Human Factors UX Researcher
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA
About DeepMind Health
DeepMind was founded in 2010 with the mission to ‘solve intelligence, use it to make the world a better place’. DeepMind Applied builds real-world applications of AI technology, working towards the second part of DeepMind's purpose. We collaborate with experts to build tools that support and augment their work in fields from healthcare to energy efficiency, and apply our cutting-edge research to help improve Google’s products and services. Drawing on the best available technologies, together with our own original research, we’re making meaningful breakthroughs in addressing some of society’s biggest and most complex challenges. DeepMind Health is central to this social mission.
We are looking for passionate and creative researchers who share our long-term commitment to making a positive impact on patient outcomes.
Most people get truly world-class care, but every single day patients suffer avoidable life-changing conditions and even die because they don’t get the right treatment in time. Nurses and doctors simply don’t have the tools to instantly analyse each test result, determine the right treatment, and make sure that every single patient who needs complex or urgent care is escalated to the right specialist immediately.
We have two simple goals at DeepMind Health:
- First, to make a practical difference to patients, nurses and doctors and support the Healthcare in the hospital space and other healthcare systems. We hope that our technologies will help to save lives, improve care and support the healthcare system we know and respect.
- Second, to make DeepMind Health a self-sustaining initiative, through hospitals choosing to pay us for our software if they think they can have a positive impact on clinical outcomes and experience. We aren't looking to maximise profit, but rather to achieve sustainability so we can continue to grow our team, work with more hospitals and help more patients.
You will join a cross discipline team and report into the Clinical Design and Insights team in London. You’ll collaborate closely with the DeepMind Health product team to help us prioritize and build intuitive solutions that will transform healthcare for clinicians and patient.
- You’re a champion of the user centred design process, passionate about forging a deep knowledge of our users and representing their needs within the product development cycle.
- You are familiar with documenting findings for regulatory best practice.
- You have experience in human factors, usability and ethnographic user research methods..
- You have strong storytelling and presentation skills to translate insights into actionable design and engineering recommendations for a time poor product team.
- You have extensive experience delivering high quality user research and driving impact through insights.
- You have expertise in a wide range of methodologies and tools, and can develop innovative new methods where necessary.
- You’re adaptable, creative, and comfortable operating in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- You have an active interest in healthcare and socio-tech trends.
- You have medical regulatory experience.
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders within the applied Health team (Product Managers, Designers, Researchers and Senior Management) to develop beautiful, intuitive products.
- Forge a deep understanding of our users by leveraging expertise in a range of methods, including field research and ethnographic studies. Quantitative research skills are a plus.
- Prioritize and execute end to end research studies: scope, plane, recruit, facilitate, synthesize and drive next steps for product.
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
- Liaise with PhD students to support clinical research studies and the publication of academic papers.
Skills & Experience:
- 5-8 years of experience in carrying out user research for continuous product development process
- Breadth, rigour and creativity in user research methods
- Excellent communication skills
- Highly motivated, able to work unsupervised, multi-task and prioritise workload.
- Regulated industry experience is required,
- Experience within human factors, usability engineering, use case validation testing or equivalent relevant experience in product development and user interactions.
- Experience with software development and GUI development within the clinical environment.
- Confidence in the planning and execution of all aspects of the HFE process including ethnographic research, formative and summative studies, documentation for design control and risk management.
- Familiarity with FDA, ISO, AAMI, and other relevant human factors and usability regulations and standards.
- Knowledge of user interface design and general knowledge about human perception, cognition and a basic knowledge of anthropometrics, biomechanics and physiology.
- Medical device experience is preferred.
- Experience working in a lean or agile delivery focussed environment.
- Regulated industry experience is required, medical device experience is preferred.
--To be considered for this position a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Factors Engineering, Usability, Cognitive Science, Anthropology or related degree along with 7 years of experience is needed.
- Candidates with a Masters or PhD you may also be considered for the position with a minimum of 5 years of experience with a Masters; and a minimum of 3 years of experience with a PhD.
Please include a link to a portfolio or personal website in your application