Role: Internal Communications Lead, Applied
Location: London/Mountain View
DeepMind - Applied
DeepMind’s Applied Group focuses on using the best available technologies, together with our own research, to address some of the world’s most pressing and complex challenges. We work in fields from healthcare to energy efficiency, collaborating with experts to build tools to support and improve their work. Collaborating with Google teams, we also apply our cutting edge research to products used by millions of people around the world. These real world applications of AI technology help us work towards one of DeepMind’s purposes - to use intelligence to make the world a better place.
This is an opportunity to join a phenomenal team of people in a complex, mission-driven company. DeepMind continues to grow and is now seeking our first internal communications lead for DeepMind Applied.
DeepMind Applied builds real-world applications of AI technology, working towards the second part of DeepMind's purpose: to use intelligence to help make the world a better place. Applied collaborates with experts in fields from healthcare to energy efficiency, and applies cutting-edge research to help improve Google’s products and services.
DeepMind Applied is home to world-class experts from across truly remarkable range of backgrounds and experiences. Our team has joined us from careers ranging from nursing, surgery, and medical research, to product design, technical infrastructure, security and many more.
Working closely with the Applied leadership team, and with DeepMind’s broader external and internal communications team, this role will be responsible for developing and implementing effective internal communications for Applied.
This is a chance for a proactive, self-starting internal communications professional to make a tangible difference to the work of one of the most exciting and unusual companies in the world. Reporting to the Head of People Operations for DeepMind Applied, this role requires outstanding people skills, the ability to work effectively with leadership, strategic thinking, fast-paced delivery under pressure, excellent judgement, and strong writing and content creation skills.
You will need to use your previous experience and show initiative in order to fully carve out your contribution in this role. You will be managed by the Head of People Operations for DeepMind Applied and work closely with senior leadership and many senior stakeholders to deliver an effective internal communications strategy.
This is not a typical internal communications role. You will have the opportunity to apply your innovative thinking to communications in an unconventional and adventurous organisation.
- Plan and implement an overarching internal communications strategy in order to support DeepMind Applied’s goals, mission and leadership team
- Effectively communicate Applied’s mission, achievements, initiatives, successes and challenges across the company and to partners
- Advise senior leadership on internal communications matters
- Support Applied’s culture through an internal communications strategy that reinforces its core values and its mission
- Effectively disseminate and coordinate operational information to relevant audiences within Applied, DeepMind, and partners
- Advise individual teams across Applied on their own approaches to internal communications, acting as a trusted expert who is able to both offer strategic advice and roll up your sleeves to give practical help
- Co-ordinate the use of all internal communications channels for Applied, setting up new channels when required
- Effectively respond to staff feedback, acting on and reporting on this as needed, working in conjunction with the Head of People Operations
Leadership and Strategy
- You have significant experience of internal communications in multiple fast-paced and demanding environments, with ideally at least one leading/senior role in a technology-driven or scientific organisation
- You have provable experience in designing strategies for fast-paced businesses, and delivering impactful internal communications content across multiple channels, to large audiences
- You are direct and effective - a strong advocate and expert adviser to senior leadership on internal communications, able to give clear strategic advice and understand what is required
- You have experience in managing complex and time-critical projects with multiple senior stakeholders
- You can build effective cross-team relationships, able to proactively create connections with many stakeholders and influence diverse and varied groups to reach consensus and action
- You are literate across varied company cultures and experienced at acting as an effective bridge, translating and advocating across organisational boundaries to ensure mutual understanding and effective teamwork.
- You have the ability to build and support staff engagement, and design and manage internal events
- You take a flexible, hands-on approach, including developing content, channels and strategies from scratch
- You are experienced in using metrics effectively to measure and evaluate the impact of internal communications, and make adjustments as required
- You have a strong and demonstrable interest in technology, computer science, AI or social-impact organisations, or in health or scientific research
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.