Role: Research Associate, DeepMind Ethics and Society
Salary: Competitive salary applies
DeepMind - Applied
DeepMind’s Applied Group focuses on using the best available technologies, together with our own research, to address some of the world’s most pressing and complex challenges. We work in fields from healthcare to energy efficiency, collaborating with experts to build tools to support and improve their work. Collaborating with Google teams, we also apply our cutting edge research to products used by millions of people around the world. These real world applications of AI technology help us work towards one of DeepMind’s purposes - to use intelligence to make the world a better place.
The DeepMind Ethics and Society (DMES) team works to address some of the key ethical challenges of developing advanced AI: privacy, transparency and fairness; governance and accountability; using AI to help address the world’s complex challenges; managing AI risk; AI morality and values; and economic impacts of AI. This work is directed towards DeepMind’s overarching mission to develop AI technologies that benefit everyone.
We have created a passionate and engaging culture, combining the best of academia and product led environments, providing an impressive balance of structure and flexibility. Our unique approach encourages interdisciplinary collaboration within DMES but as well as with all teams within the Research and Applied groups, leading to ambitious creativity and the scope for innovative breakthroughs at the forefront of research.
We are now looking for a Research Associate, who will be a core team member: offering critical support to one of our Co-Leads, while also driving forward projects and conducting original research and analysis. This role is a unique opportunity to gain experience working in a new kind of organization where we seek to challenge our own assumptions through groundbreaking research and collaboration with a range of experts from economics, philosophy, political science, and more.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate academic rigor, flexibility, and a willingness to work across disciplinary boundaries. She or he will be proactive and organised: aiding one of our Co-Leads in identifying and tracking priorities and projects, and working in conjunction with the team to produce outcomes. We are looking for a team player with a track record of working on collaborative projects and experience providing research support. Experience and background in AI or ML, as well as emerging technology policy and/or ethical research methods is desired.
- Work with one of our Co-Leads and the DMES research team in identifying research priorities, and scoping and delivering critical projects
- Accompany them to key stakeholder engagements (including internal meetings, workshops, external events, conferences) and support them in preparing and shaping the agenda
- Prepare research papers and issue-specific briefings to an excellent written standard for internal and external stakeholders
- Research, report, and monitor quantitative and qualitative research on emerging technology, and the real-world impact of AI
- Identify areas that require further exploration within existing DMES research; develop recommendations and proposals for new projects, including potential collaborations with other institutions and groups
- Undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a relevant academic field
- Deep understanding of AI and ability to engage with researchers on technical questions
- Ability to work independently and produce high-quality analysis and research (with appropriate supervision)
- Excellent grasp of emerging technologies, AI research and its implications for society
- Ability to quickly assimilate complex issues including across technical and scientific areas
- Excellent organizational skills and proactive attitude
- Excellent communicator, in person and in writing
- Extraordinary work ethic and drive to achieve
- Intellectual curiosity that keeps the candidate ahead on substantive topics
- Team player with the ability to exercise flexibility, adaptability and good judgement in a rapidly changing environment
- Deep knowledge of and interest in sectors impacted by artificial intelligence
- Experience researching within an academic institution, a think tank, or similar
- Experience working with applied technologies in ethically important societal industries
- Experience researching the ethical implications of emerging technologies
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.