This is a rare opportunity to join a phenomenal team of people in a complex, mission-driven company. DeepMind continues to grow and we are now seeking a senior Assistant to support our recently appointed Chief Operating Officer. This role would suit someone who thrives in fast-paced, changeable environments and is looking to define their career within a company that could change the world.
The overall purpose of the role is to remove all administrative pressures from the COO’s life and increase her levels of efficiency to stratospheric standards, enabling her to focus entirely on our mission.
Reporting directly to the COO, with a dotted line to the Executive Assistant to the CEO, you will resolve operational and administrative issues before they arise and move quickly, adapting to changing priorities to support your team. You’ll help coordinate diaries, know your team members’ whereabouts at all times, anticipate their needs and ensure they are prepared for each day.
We’re looking for a talented, driven individual who wants to be part of an exceptional team, in an inspiring and collaborative environment, working on ground-breaking technology with potentially extraordinary impact. You’ll be working with some of the best and brightest minds which takes skill, enthusiasm and an exceptional attention to detail.
At DeepMind we've created a unique environment where long-term ambitious research can flourish. Our world-class interdisciplinary team combines the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning and systems neuroscience to build powerful general-purpose learning algorithms. We have already made a number of high profile breakthroughs towards building artificial general intelligence and we now have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years.
In this extremely demanding organisational role, you’ll help coordinate a complex and ever-changing diary, organise meetings in line with the business priorities, maintain up-to-date dashboards and juggle multiple priorities in a fast-paced and rapidly evolving environment. You’ll help put out fires, fill gaps, anticipate other people's needs and exercise judgement; you will need to be committed and stay on top of things at all times.
You’ll join a close knit team of highly committed, passionate and collaborative people. Your success at DeepMind will depend on the connections you build and relationships you grow. Each day in this role is different; in addition to adapting to constantly changing priorities, you will need to deliver against a core set of critical tasks:
- Anticipate the COO’s needs, organise and prioritise critical issues and proactively bring together appropriate people and resources to facilitate efficient decision making
- Manage an extremely complex calendar of critical meetings, conference calls and appointments across numerous time zones and on behalf of multiple people. Its critical the calendar is 100% accurate at all times and optimises the COO’s time to the max
- Compile and prepare meeting materials, agendas, equipment and resources well in advance of meetings.
- Record, track, and communicate any follow-up or actions from daily meetings
- Independently research, prioritise, and follow up on multiple incoming requests addressed to the COO, including those of a sensitive and/or confidential nature; and determine appropriate course of action, referral, and/or response
- Complete critical aspects of key deliverables and special assignments by establishing objectives; determining priorities; managing time; gaining cooperation of others; monitoring progress; problem solving
- Draft reports, executive summaries, newsletters and prepare presentations / other communications as required
- Maintain annual Calendar of Events for Chief Operating Officer and her team, as a reminder of required reports and activities throughout the year
- Arrange domestic and international travel for the COO e.g. hotel and restaurant reservations, flight check-in, visas, full travel itineraries and overseas transport whilst being the point of contact when the COO is travelling
- Work closely with our communications teams to provide oversight and appropriate guidance on key messaging for the COO e.g. at high profile external events, speaking engagements, internal events, press interviews, internal announcements etc.
- Collaborate on all administration and operational processes; evaluating, and re-designing processes and implementing changes for continuous improvement
- Arrange key business and team events e.g. off-sites, lunches, talks, seminars, visitors
- Provide personal support for the COO e.g. lunch, travel and personal errands etc.
- Represent the COO by welcoming guests and ensuring they have a great visitor experience - arranging room set-up, providing an office tour and offering refreshments
- Act as a point of contact and an ambassador for DeepMind, review incoming correspondence addressed to the COO and respond as required e.g. telephone, email, post etc.
- Build out and maintain a contact management database, capturing all the details of key colleagues and professional contacts, understand who they are and keep track of periodic communication needed for primary contacts
- Undertake financial administration for the COO (e.g. manage expenses, approve expense claims and purchase order requests)
- Manage the contract process for the COO including building relationships with key stakeholders and the legal team across the business and ensuring all contracts are signed and filed in a timely manner
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with the COO’s teams who are at the heart of the organisation including Operations, Communications and Public Engagement, People and Culture, Recruitment, Legal, Finance and Facilities. Work collaboratively and serve as the primary point of initial contact on matters pertaining to the COO
- Work closely with the wider Operations team to provide support during busy periods including the wider Senior Management Team as required and representing the COO at Operational team meetings
You are an experienced senior Assistant and perform best in a fast-paced environment. You have got bags of energy and a keen interest to continue to grow your career in supporting and enabling others. Your colleagues describe you as dependable, savvy, self-aware and efficient. You have a can-do attitude and a thirst for learning.
This role is quite simply the opportunity of a lifetime for someone with a passion for enabling exceptional individuals and is looking to advance their career within a company that could change the world.
- You are proactive and see what needs to be done. You know what your manager has to do everyday, what must be achieved and the deadlines so that you can assist to reduce stress and setbacks
- Every moment of the day is utilised and you apply superb diary management skills to handle this effectively. You adapt tech skills to create and manage time-saving solutions
- You are extremely organised, used to working at a very fast pace, juggling many different tasks in changeable and ambiguous environments, whilst at the same time ensuring impeccable attention to detail
- Preparation and research is second nature, allowing you to always stay one step ahead. You have prior experience creating detailed (and ever changing!) schedules and plan down to the very last detail
- You are willing to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in - no task is too big or too small
- Driven, self-aware and self-disciplined; you take responsibility for your own behaviour and get your energy from within, rather than relying on others. You strive to succeed and constantly improve
- You have a natural ability to build relationships with people. You put people at ease, create understanding and instil trust. Your knowledge and approach means that people actively seek your guidance
- You have a warmth about you with a resilient nature and can read a situation and act appropriately. Remaining calm even in the most stressful of situations.
- Hierarchy isn’t important to you; collaborating as a team and working towards our mission is what drives you every day
- Most of all, you instinctively act with absolute discretion and diplomacy, and apply sound judgement in responding to circumstances - predictable and unpredictable. Loyalty and confidentiality is a must.
This role has the potential to grow with you, providing the opportunity to be part of the core team supporting the COO which could span decades. Alongside this you will be part of a wider team of assistants, whilst partnering closely with the CEO’s Office. A key part of your role will be mentoring and growing our world class Assistant Team and creating an environment oriented to trust, open communication, creative thinking and cohesive working.
Please include a cover letter when applying and tell us how you can make a difference to our team.
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.