This is a rare opportunity to join a phenomenal team of people in a complex, mission-driven company. DeepMind continues to grow and we are now seeking an Assistant to the Chief Research Scientist & Director of Research. This role would suit someone who thrives in fast-paced, changeable environments and is looking to define their career within a company that could change the world.
The overall purpose of the role is to remove all administrative pressures from their life and increase their levels of efficiency to exceptional standards, enabling them to focus entirely on our mission.
Reporting to the Executive Assistant to the CEO, you will resolve operational and administrative issues before they arise and move quickly, adapting to changing priorities to support your team. You’ll help coordinate diaries, know team members’ whereabouts at all times, anticipate their needs and ensure they are prepared for each day.
We’re looking for a talented, driven individual who wants to be part of an exceptional team, in an inspiring and collaborative environment, working on ground-breaking technology with potentially extraordinary impact. You’ll be working with some of the best and brightest minds which takes skill, enthusiasm and a exceptional attention to detail.
At DeepMind we've created a unique environment where long-term ambitious research can flourish. Our world-class interdisciplinary team combines the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning and systems neuroscience to build powerful general-purpose learning algorithms. We have already made a number of high profile breakthroughs towards building artificial general intelligence and now have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years.
In this demanding organisational role, you’ll be supporting world class leaders in research. You’ll help coordinate complex and ever-changing diaries, organise meetings in line with the business priorities, manage international travel and internal and external speaking engagements whilst juggling multiple priorities in a fast-paced and rapidly evolving environment. You’ll help put out fires, fill the gaps, anticipate other people's needs and exercise judgement; you will need to be committed and stay on top of things at all times.
You’ll join a close knit team of highly committed, passionate and collaborative people. You will be managed and mentored by the Executive Assistant to the CEO whilst serving as a member of the wider Operations team. The connections you build and relationships you foster will be a key facet of this role.
Each day in this role is different; in addition to adapting to constantly changing priorities, you will need to deliver against a core set of critical tasks:
- Manage and coordinate complex diaries for meetings, interviews, conference calls and appointments across numerous time zones and on behalf of multiple people
- Partner with our Program Managers and help coordinate team meetings and circulate agendas - ensuring everyone is well prepared, time is used effectively and actions are complete
- Arrange domestic and international travel for conferences and external speaking engagements
- Welcome guests and ensure they have a great visitors experience - ensuring room set-up, providing an office tour and offering refreshments
- Act as a point of contact and an ambassador for DeepMind, dealing with incoming mail e.g. telephone, email etc.
- Draft reports, executive summaries, newsletters and prepare presentations / other communications as required
- Collaborate on all administration and operational processes making suggestions for continuous improvement to grow efficiencies
- Help arrange internal business and team events e.g. off-sites, lunches, talks, seminars, visitors
- Provide personal support / errand running e.g. lunch, post, travel etc.
- Maintain a database of contact details of key colleagues and professional contacts
- Undertake financial administration e.g. submit expense claims and approve purchase order requests, approve invoices etc.
- Scan, copy, file and maintain an effective archiving system (online and offline)
- Work closely with the wider Operations team to provide support during busy periods including the wider Senior Management Team as required
You are an experienced assistant and perform best in a fast-paced environment. You have got bags of energy and a keen interest to continue to grow your career in supporting and enabling others. Your colleagues describe you as dependable, savvy, self-aware and efficient. You have a can-do attitude and a thirst for learning.
This role is quite simply the opportunity of a lifetime for someone with a passion for enabling exceptional individuals and is looking to advance their career within a company that could change the world.
- You are proactive and see what needs to be done. You know what your manager has to do everyday, what must be achieved and the deadlines so that you can assist to reduce stress and setbacks
- You apply superb diary management skills to make the most of every day
- You are extremely organised, used to working at very fast pace, juggling many different tasks in changeable and ambiguous environments, whilst at the same time ensuring impeccable attention to detail
- Preparation and research is second nature, allowing you to always stay one step ahead. You plan down to the very last detail
- You are willing to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in with anything; Your “get stuck in” mentality means that no task is too big or too small
- Driven, self-aware and self-disciplined; you take responsibility for your own behaviour and get your energy from within, rather than relying on others. You strive to succeed and constantly improve
- You have a natural ability to build relationships with people. You put people at ease, create understanding and instil trust. Your knowledge and approach means that people actively seek your guidance
- You have a warmth about you with a resilient nature and can read a situation and act appropriately. Remaining calm even in the most stressful of situations.
- Hierarchy isn’t important to you; collaborating as team and working towards our mission is what drives you every day
- Most of all, you instinctively act with absolute discretion and diplomacy, and apply sound judgement in responding to circumstances - predictable and unpredictable. Loyalty and confidentiality are a must
- You want a role that you can give your all to, make your own whilst being part of a team
This is a career defining role and you must be ready to commit to this long term mission. This opportunity offers the chance to be a key part of something extraordinary and the opportunity to make a real difference.
Please include a cover letter when applying and tell us how you can make a difference to our team.
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.