In this special extended episode, Hannah Fry meets Demis Hassabis, the CEO and co-founder of DeepMind.
She digs into his former life as a chess player, games designer and neuroscientist and explores how his love of chess helped him to get start-up funding, what drives him and his vision, and why AI keeps him up at night.
Interviewees: Deepmind CEO and co-founder, Demis Hassabis
Find out more about the themes in this episode:
- Wired: Inside DeepMind's epic mission to solve science's trickiest problem
- Quanta magazine: How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing Science
- Demis Hassabis: A systems neuroscience approach to building AGI. Talk at the 2010 Singularity Summit
- Demis Hassabis: The power of self-learning systems. Talk at MIT 2019
- Demis Hassabis: Talk on Creativity and AI
- Financial Times: The mind in the machine: Demis Hassabis on artificial intelligence (2017)
- The Times: Interview with Demis Hassabis
- The Economist Babbage podcast: DeepMind Games
- Interview with Demis Hassabis from the book Game Changer, which also features an introduction written by Demis
If you know of other resources we should link to, please help other listeners by either replying to us on Twitter (#DMpodcast) or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also use that address to send us questions or feedback on the series.
Presenter: Hannah Fry
Editor: David Prest
Senior Producer: Louisa Field
Producers: Amy Racs, Dan Hardoon
Binaural Sound: Lucinda Mason-Brown
Music composition: Eleni Shaw (with help from Sander Dieleman and WaveNet)