AI researchers around the world are trying to create a general purpose learning system that can learn to solve a broad range of problems without being taught how.
Koray Kavukcuoglu, DeepMind’s Director of Research, describes the journey to get there, and takes Hannah on a whistle-stop tour of DeepMind’s HQ and its research.
Interviewees: Koray Kavukcuoglu, Director of Research; Trevor Back, Product Manager for DeepMind’s science research; research scientists Raia Hadsell and Murray Shanahan; and DeepMind CEO and co-founder, Demis Hassabis.
Find out more about the themes in this episode:
- OpenAI: An overview of neural networks and the progress that has been made in AI
- Shane Legg, DeepMind co-founder: Measuring machine intelligence at the 2010 Singularity Summit
- Shane Legg and Marcus Hutter: Paper on defining machine intelligence
- Demis Hassabis: Talk on the history, frontiers and capabilities of AI
- Robert Wiblin: Positively shaping the development of artificial intelligence
- Asilomar AI Principles
- Richard S. Sutton and Andrew G. Barto: Reinforcement Learning: An Introduction
If you know of other resources we should link to, please help other listeners by either replying to us on Twitter (#DMpodcast) or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also use that address to send us questions or feedback on the series.
Presenter: Hannah Fry
Editor: David Prest
Senior Producer: Louisa Field
Producers: Amy Racs, Dan Hardoon
Binaural Sound: Lucinda Mason-Brown
Music composition: Eleni Shaw (with help from Sander Dieleman and WaveNet)